S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

turbo and supercharger reliability??

Old 02-17-2002, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default turbo and supercharger reliability??

Okay, I have checked out both the comptech SC and the speedcraft turbo. From all of your experiences and stories, I want to know which will be more reliable and not cause problems for me. I have never heard of speed craft, and it seems they only make the turbo for the S and nothing else? So which is less likely to kill my engine if I keep the turbo at 8psi?? Reliability is what will make my decision of which to go with. I trust your opinions so that's why I ask for them.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without a doubt a supercharger is going to be more reliable and much less troublesome than a turbo. Not to mention less expensive.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Craig. Although, it will not be as powerful in the end, up front, its an easy bolt-on with a great performance increase.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:49 AM

The straight facts with out any bias opinion is that the supercharger seems to be very reliable, and the turbo seems to be reliable based on the fact that Derryck ran it for ~10K miles and ChrisD has has his almost 10K miles so far including drag strip time..

I don't drive mine enough to rack up that many miles (I only have 1000 miles on it, including a trip from Jacksonville to Naples FL (about 8 hours) )
Old 02-18-2002, 05:21 AM

Speedcraft was rated among the top ten import performance tuners several months back in Super Street I believe. They have many turbocharged cars. If you look at their web site you will see a silver Lexus GS300 with turbo and direct port nitrous. They also have a 3rd Gen RX-7 with the 2.OL 3 rotor engine they swapped. They also produce a turbo kit (distributed by others) for the Cavalier/Sunfire. They are not the same type of company that Comptech is. Speedcraft is more of a niche organization... they aren't out to mass produce anything they just make cars go faster.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So for the most part you are saying that a supercharger is less trouble and probably more reliable. On the same hand, has anyone had a problem that was turbo related?
Old 02-18-2002, 10:32 AM

ChrisD just posted a problem he had w/ a failed bolt of some kind (think it was exhaust) that took out a seal. didn't look bad from a mechanical point of view, but I bet (if it's exhaust related) that it would really kill any remaining emissions controls on the car.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:07 PM

I was under the impression that Chris D just had a problem with the bolt connecting his downpipe and exhaust together, which eventually came off. I dont think there really is any emmission control at all.

In regards to the reliability, its been discussed before...but IMO,

with the stats so far, it seems as if the bracket for the supercharger has been cracking quite frequently among S2k owners.

The only horror story Ive heard with the turbo kit, is the headgasket install with Chris's car, ..but then again, there are certain measures on proper sealing on copper headgaskets.,

then again, there has only been like 3 speedcraft turbo kits that have been sold.

correct me if Im wrong guys, but doesnt it seem like Chris D has put the most force on his engine so far??? Boosting 10 psi?? on 11:1 compression! haha. Seems like he's still hanging in there. So, I think both sides are just as reliable is installed correctly....at this point in time. Meaning that only time will tell with the speedcraft kit.

theres another thing: One is CARB legal, and the other is not. But who said CARB issues had to do anything with reliability??
Old 02-18-2002, 04:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

"correct me if Im wrong guys, but doesnt it seem like Chris D has put the most force on his engine so far??? Boosting 10 psi?? on 11:1 compression! haha. Seems like he's still hanging in there. So, I think both sides are just as reliable is installed correctly....at this point in time. Meaning that only time will tell with the speedcraft kit".

Actually someone here is doing some serious, very well planned developement, on a new turbo. I will say that 11 to 1 at 13 PSI does not last very long.......3 power runs and failed. Teardown in process, I should recieve some photos tonight. The differential is being disassembled and inspected and the half shafts magnafluxed very soon. Stay tuned. If this one comes on the market it will be the one to have. Can't say much more at this point in time.......

Utah
Old 02-19-2002, 12:40 PM

I've run up to 11 psi at the track from time to time. Sometimes even out on the street (boy I shouldn't though).

What Dwight up in Jacksonville tells me is that most honda pistons (or rings?) start to break down at 12 to 14 psi, but cjb's mechanic has said that a visual inspection shows our pistons to look very sturdy, ala BMW or Porsche pistons.

I have a feeling if there is an upper limit to the tolerances the stock pistons can handle, I'll be the first to know. This both worries and excites me.

Quick Reply: turbo and supercharger reliability??