S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Turbo reliability...?

Old 10-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo reliability...?

Alright, I'm actually in the market for a '02 right now, but the plan is to get used to the car for a while and do some suspension mods, then go FI. I'd love to go NA but it just costs too much cash...

Anyway, this will be my only car, so obviously it will be daily driven and will need to be reliable.

I've seen people on here talking about their cars and other people's cars that are supercharged with tens of thousands of miles on them that have had no or few problems in that timeframe. What I want to know is how well the s can hold up to the heat a turbo creates, because I'd much rather have a turbo setup.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prepare to spend around 8 thousand dollars on the turbo setup. LoveFab seems to be very popular right now. There are no turbo kits that are CARB legal yet, although one is in the making.

Unfortunately, if you're going "budget" on this, I would just not consider it. I'd love to go turbo too, but it's just not feasible to spend that kind of money on my daily driver at this stage in my life.

I suggest going with a supercharger setup. If you want more midrange power, go with a smaller boost pulley, a nice midrange header like Mugen or Rick's, and a single outlet exhaust with test pipe. HTH
Old 10-10-2005, 07:05 PM

Maybe you should post in the Forced Induction forum to get some more responses. Basically, if reliability is your main concern than you should go with a supercharger, but that is not to say its isn't possible to have a reliable turbo set up. Cody has put some mileage on his lovefab turbo'd car, but their aren't nearly as many guys on here with high mileage turbo cars as there are SC'd ones so its harder to tell you about long term turbo reliability. I'm sure others will chime in and tell you what they think.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by afwfjustin,Oct 10 2005, 11:01 PM
Prepare to spend around 8 thousand dollars on the turbo setup. LoveFab seems to be very popular right now. There are no turbo kits that are CARB legal yet, although one is in the making.

Unfortunately, if you're going "budget" on this, I would just not consider it. I'd love to go turbo too, but it's just not feasible to spend that kind of money on my daily driver at this stage in my life.

I suggest going with a supercharger setup. If you want more midrange power, go with a smaller boost pulley, a nice midrange header like Mugen or Rick's, and a single outlet exhaust with test pipe. HTH
Why oh why would a turbo setup cost me $8,000? I could probably get it custom made for less money then that.

if however, that is the cost, it's totally not worth twice the price of a supercharger.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by XclusiveAutosports,Oct 10 2005, 11:05 PM
Maybe you should post in the Forced Induction forum to get some more responses. Basically, if reliability is your main concern than you should go with a supercharger, but that is not to say its isn't possible to have a reliable turbo set up. Cody has put some mileage on his lovefab turbo'd car, but their aren't nearly as many guys on here with high mileage turbo cars as there are SC'd ones so its harder to tell you about long term turbo reliability. I'm sure others will chime in and tell you what they think.
:-\ i thought the forced induction forum was a technical question forum? my bad...

I'm trying to buy a car with <50k miles, but It'll probably be over 100k before i sell. It may be the only fesible option for me, but I would just be disappointed if I were stuck with a supercharger.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find a used kit for 3500-4000 probably if you look around. However, you're going to need an AEM EMS which will cost you a grand, and then you have tuning + dyno time. The extra money is there to pay for anything that comes up, like a new clutch. 5-6 thousand is probably going to be if NOTHING goes wrong. I do wish you the best of luck though.