S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are TSBs Only Performed (free) During The Warranty Period???

Old 05-03-2002, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are TSBs Only Performed (free) During The Warranty Period???

Hi All,

Reading as many TSB threads as I care to, I'm wondering if Honda will only perform TSBs (for free) while the car is under warranty. It is my feeling that TSBs and Warranty Issues should be handled separately. Since TSBs take care of known problems, shouldn't they be fixed any time (like Recalls)? I see these as different than Warranty Issues that include premature part/system failure, etc.

I plan on having TSB-0054 performed before my warranty expires just in case, but does anybody know how Honda actually handles TSBs?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:29 AM

You would think that a TSB would be performed regardless of warranty standing.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:35 AM

I know with with the TSB's I have had done the dealer had to call Honda to verify that they would be compensated for the work (I have had the seat belt, clutch, and 1/2 grind done)
Old 05-03-2002, 10:30 AM

TSBs will always be done for free under warranty and only done for free outside of the warranty as an act of goodwill (i.e. if the dealer feels like it). The dealer is under no obligation to provide out-of-warranty repairs for free even if they are TSBs. Only federally-mandated recalls will be done for free outside of the warranty.

A TSB is simply a notice that the dealership receives, from the manufacturer, based on complaints from a large number of owners.

Issues outlined in a TSB usually need to be verified by the dealership and/or a factory representative because the dealership receives payment, for the labor, from the manufacturer. However, the dealership only receives payment for the number of hours that the manufacturer specifies in the TSB. If the repair requires more time than what's stated in the TSB, the dealership takes the loss.

For instance, TSB-054 states a flat rate time of 4.8 hours. It took the dealership about 7-8 hours total to do the work on my car. Honda only pays the dealer for 4.8 hours of labor.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the best of my knowledge, TSB's have to be done before the warranty runs out, but considering that the seat belt TSB was a safety issue, I am a little fuzzy on this one.

I hope someone else can get a definitive answer!
Old 05-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I've been told, safety related issues are covered for the life of the car. Can anyone verify/refute this?
Old 05-03-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Sondra S2K
To the best of my knowledge, TSB's have to be done before the warranty runs out, but considering that the seat belt TSB was a safety issue, I am a little fuzzy on this one.

I hope someone else can get a definitive answer!
The seat belt issue was a full-blown safety recall. If a problem is safety-related, it is escalated to a recall by the NHTSA. Safety recalls are covered for the life of the car.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most auto manufacturers including Honda have a lifetime warrantee on seatbelts. We were having some problems with my gfriends 92 Prelude's seatbelts last year and they fixed them for free.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:34 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Silver Bullet
[B]For instance, TSB-054 states a flat rate time of 4.8 hours.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:45 PM

They had my car for 2.5 days for TSB 54 and the mechanic told me he spent about 15 hours on it. The service manager said the dealer sucks up the labor over 4.8.

Quick Reply: Are TSBs Only Performed (free) During The Warranty Period???