S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

TSB for Clutch and steering wheel alignment

Old 04-24-2002, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSB for Clutch and steering wheel alignment

When my dealership replaced my clutch of the clutch TSB, I got it back with the steering wheel on crooked. ie when driving straight, instead of the middle part of the steering wheel lining up with 3 and 9 oclock, it is more like 2 and 8 oclock. They are claiming that this couldn't have happened from replacing the clutch and want to charge me for an alignment. Am I being given the runaround, or is there really no way they could have done this? I am also not really sure why this would not be covered under warranty, but they said it would not. Can someone with more mechanical knowledge than me(just about anyone) comment on this and whether it is likely that they did this with the clutch replacement. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:44 AM

If it is really in the 2 and 8 position I can't see how you could have missed it before you dropped it off. That being the case it had to happen at the dealer. Convincing them of the cause is a different story.

Hugh
Old 04-24-2002, 10:49 AM

I had the same problem. After I got the clutch done, the steering wheel has crooked to the left. I took it back and they straightened it for free.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:43 AM

same prob here tooo, they told me to come in with stocks since I had my 19s on and they will fix it.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the TSB done as well but didn't have a problem with the steering wheel. They should fix it for free.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:06 PM

same here, the steering was off centre.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:07 PM

I believe the Helm's manuals suggest dropping the engine a few inches to get to the clutch/transmission. If that is so, they would have had to remove the steering rack which could have caused the miss alignment.

Hey sweetj!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really surprised that nothing happened with mine. I also got the 1-2 grind fix as well and no problems as of yet. I have had the window thing replaced twice and I'm sure it will go bad again. If you just get on the dealer enough they should fix it for free. Just be persistent...I love my dealer they always take great care of me.

Hey Sym!
Old 04-24-2002, 12:45 PM

Thanks for all your help! I am glad to hear I am not the only one this happened to. I now have some ground to stand on when I take it in tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:41 PM

I had the same problem. The reason is because they have to disconnect a portion of the steering rack in order to lower the transmission, engine, and sub-frame. I guess the service tech who worked on my car didn't pay attention to the steering wheel position when he bolted everything back together.

If your dealership still denies that the steering wheel can be affected from the TSB, have them look at the shop manual. It's clearly stated there.

Quick Reply: TSB for Clutch and steering wheel alignment