S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Trouble shifting into gear when car is stopped

Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble shifting into gear when car is stopped

I have on 03 S that recently had its 30k mile service. This problem has progressed slowly over the past few days, but today it has gotten really bad. When the car is stopped, it takes a lot of force to shift into gear, any gear. Reverse is the worse, and it almost takes 2 hands to get it into gear. Once I get the car is moving, I can freely shift between any gear just like nothing is wrong.

Even if I have it in 1st while the car is stopped, put in the clutch, take it out of 1st, and immediately try to go back into 1st, it is still takes way too much force.

I have an appointment with the dealer, but they can't get to it for 2 days. Just wanted to see if anyone here has had similar problems or might have an idea as to what is wrong.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM

I don't know what's the problem but in my car if your at a stop try putting it in 3rd gear real quick without moving or releasing the clutch then put it in 1st, it makes it go alot more smoothly into 1st.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might want to have them both flush the clutch hydrolic fluid and change the tranny oil. Both can make gear engagement sticky as you describe.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 205 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe the dealership put the wrong oil in the transmission (or none at all!). Its not part of the 30k service though - what exactly did the dealership do?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 PM

Occasionally I have trouble going into reverse, it seems to mainly happen only when I am stopped on an incline. I haven't had a chance to get the tran. fluid changed yet. Let us know if you get the clutch fluid changed too. I am interested to hear what helps you. As far as the other gears I can freely go from 1-6. Reverse just gives me some trouble only on the incline.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by gravit,Apr 24 2007, 03:30 PM
I have on 03 S that recently had its 30k mile service. This problem has progressed slowly over the past few days, but today it has gotten really bad. When the car is stopped, it takes a lot of force to shift into gear, any gear. Reverse is the worse, and it almost takes 2 hands to get it into gear. Once I get the car is moving, I can freely shift between any gear just like nothing is wrong.

Even if I have it in 1st while the car is stopped, put in the clutch, take it out of 1st, and immediately try to go back into 1st, it is still takes way too much force.

I have an appointment with the dealer, but they can't get to it for 2 days. Just wanted to see if anyone here has had similar problems or might have an idea as to what is wrong.
It sounds almost like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Have you looked at the clutch fluid level lately?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM

Bad clutch master cylinder....or clutch plate

I had the same problem. (Both actually)

Better get the charge card ready......

John
Old 04-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Received 505 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kNY,Apr 24 2007, 12:35 PM
I don't know what's the problem but in my car if your at a stop try putting it in 3rd gear real quick without moving or releasing the clutch then put it in 1st, it makes it go alot more smoothly into 1st.
Same.
Had all my fluids redone and still have the problem. It goes away when the car's been driven for about 10 minutes or so, or when I slip it into first as the car is coming to a stop. Just learned to live with it.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Apr 24 2007, 03:59 PM
It sounds almost like your clutch is not fully disengaging. Have you looked at the clutch fluid level lately?
I checked the clutch fluid, and it was a little low. It was below the MIN line by about 1/2 an inch. I added some fluid last night to bring it up to the right level, but it didn't seem to help this morning.

The thing that seemed odd was that the fluid looked fairly dirty. I don't have much experience with clutch fluid, but I expected it to be somewhat transparent, while this was kind of a chalky grey.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by gravit,Apr 25 2007, 09:57 AM
I checked the clutch fluid, and it was a little low. It was below the MIN line by about 1/2 an inch. I added some fluid last night to bring it up to the right level, but it didn't seem to help this morning.

The thing that seemed odd was that the fluid looked fairly dirty. I don't have much experience with clutch fluid, but I expected it to be somewhat transparent, while this was kind of a chalky grey.
Sounds to me like you need to have the hydrolic system flushed, and blead. The drop in fluid level could just be due to clutch disk wear, but might also indicate a leak somewhere, so look for any signs of leakage just in case. Getting clean fluid in the system and bleeding it may or may not solve your problem, but you need to eleminate it as a possibliby.

Quick Reply: Trouble shifting into gear when car is stopped