S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

tried to fix clutch- what do you guys think? (long)

Old 07-24-2002, 04:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tried to fix clutch- what do you guys think? (long)

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=72490

many of you guys read my thread above, about my dead clutch.

well, i dropped the car off at my local dealer to solve the problem.

they said- no warranty, and the whole job should cost me about $2500.
told me it was not only the clutch, but also my throw out barring, pressure plate, and cracked flywheel.

so, if i have to buy all the parts with my own money, i figured, why don't i just go for some performance parts.
told them i would supply aftermarket parts, and the only thing they have to do was to install them.

now, they told me that the job would take about 10 hours, and the whole labor was around $1200.
... suppose they charge $50 an hour for transmission. 10 hour job, $500. so where's another $700 coming from?

the only reason why i went to the honda dealer was to find out if i can fix the car under warranty.
but, no warranty and i buy my own parts, mean i don't have to do the job at the dealer-

so, i looked for other shops, and of course i can do it a lot cheaper.
i decided to go to some other shop that i liked, and asked the dealer if the car's taken apart yet.
they said it hasn't-

now, if the car was never taken apart... how do they know the flywheel's cracked and pressure plate is messed up, and the throw out barring is broken?
i asked the people and they say, oh, we worked on honda for more than 13 years.
but the dealer's only about 5 years old.

better yet, they made me pay $95 for "diagnostic fee."
...? diagnostic what diagnostic? like... looking at the car for 10 sec. diagnostic?

so... guys, what do you think?
are they trying to rip me off? or does $2500 job has some good reason behind it?

btw, they were PISSED when i told them that i wouldn't fix my car there.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried more then 1 honda dealer? it might be worth it. they might fix it under warranty.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:18 PM

nah... i already dropped off my car at the shop with all the aftermarket stuff.

there are two honda dealers around me-
one where i bought my car from, which i had some bad bad BAD experience with,

and this one, one that i "used" to think they were good and trustworthy.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesn't honda charge $72/hr for labor? or is it location dependant. i think that's how much they charge in seattle...

well, i woulda taken my car to another shop...what parts did you get?

mike
Old 07-24-2002, 04:55 PM

star stage 2 clutch and spoon flywheel.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

good thing u got your car outa there. Like i said b4 what are they killin u 4 on the labor. sounds like u did the right thing. i'm not familiar with the aftermarket parts u bought. My advice would b to not buy anything else until they actually open up the clutch and show u what the parts look like. If the flywheel isn't cracked then no need 2 spend big bucks on a replacement give it back or sell it on the site for a small loss if u want to save $$ or sell the stock one to someone with a real problem and no $$. There is one possibility for inspection that i havent checked out on this car. Many times there is an inspection hole for looking at the flywheel or a quick part to remove like the starter motor or clutch slave cylinder that allows u to look inside the bell housing and into the clutch chamber. by laboriously turning the flywheel with a large screwdriver or by other methods of turning it via crank pulley or possibly rear wheel with a gear engaged u can examine the flywheel and sometimes clutch parts to have an idea of whats toasted. let them for sure show u whats fried and then make your parts decisions. Maybe the only thing gone is the friction disc or its also possible that a tranny or rear main seal is leaking and thats the prob, alot of slippery stuff on your clutch although you would probably notice some weeping arround the bell housing joint from that.
good luck