S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tranny Oil

Old 01-13-2007, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Oil

Gonna get a lot of work done on the car this week and figured that I'd get the tranny fluids changed cause I've grinded quite a few times in the last few months...I've heard the GM stuff is better....what options do I have?? what is the exact volume needed in the tranny?? and what makes the stuff you recommend better??...oh and where can I get it?? (ps: looking to drop the car off on monday afternoon so need something I can pick up pretty much everywhere)...thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 42 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe that it holds 1.7 quarts, so obviously you will need 2 bottles. If you want to try changing it yourself it's very easy and there is a good DIY on this site. I just got my S 2 weeks ago. I changed the fluid using the DIY write-up with no problems. It's just as easy as changing your oil.

I used GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. If you go this route be sure the bottle says Friction Modifeid, as there's a standard Synchromesh as well. The general consensus on the board is that the GM product works really good in the cold if that's important to you. It is in my climate. Shifts really well in the morning when it's 20* outside.

The other main product is the new Honda Manual Fluid. I haven't tried it yet but some people seem to like it. I went with the GM mainly because of the positive reviews relating to the cold weather.

You could also go with Royal Purple or Red Line etc... But you can pick up the ones I mentioned locally at any Honda or GM dealership. I've never seen the other products in an Auto Zone or any other local auto store.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:48 PM

nice username...i thought you were me
Old 01-13-2007, 10:26 PM

cool...so Honda has a new tranny fluid out...that's interesting
Old 01-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honda MTF works for me.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy I used to work with is a dealer for Amsoil. I used it in my '96 Integra and liked it so I am now using it in my diff and tranny. So far so good.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reviews on these boards have suggested that the new Honda MTF ('07+) is much smoother in cold weather than the previous stuff, and supposedly it lasts longer than the GM synchromesh before performance degrades (and shifting becomes a little notchy again. But this is not from my personal experience.

I'm going to be trying the new Honda MTF soon in my 2005 with only ~5k miles. Once warmed up, it shifts fine, but on cold mornings it's notchy, especially 1-2.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:43 PM

I'm gonna try that new Honda Manual Transmission....Honda would not make a bad product...

ok so can somebody confirm the exact amount I need in the transmission and also what type (ie: 80W 90).....thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Another option is Specialty Formulations MTL-P.

Here's a review of this product: Specialty Formulations MTL-P
Old 01-14-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by midnightmethane,Jan 14 2007, 06:43 PM
I'm gonna try that new Honda Manual Transmission....Honda would not make a bad product...

ok so can somebody confirm the exact amount I need in the transmission and also what type (ie: 80W 90).....thanks in advance
I don't mean to burst your bubble but:

As far as I know Honda is not and never has been in the oil/lubrication business. I'm not sure who they're buying their motor oil, transmission oil, or differential fluid from now but I'm sure that Honda didn't produce them.

Their new MTF is most likely a quality product but rest assured Honda didn't make it.

Quick Reply: Tranny Oil