S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Traggic Lose..

Old 09-06-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing for the insurance, and I don't see how this one incedent's will effect everyone elses insurance unless the same happens to them
Insurance rates for all DO go up based on the national driving patterns and accident rates for the car Model and Make.

Your actions do affect others. But that being said, I personally don't care if other' wrecks influence my insurance. I bought the car knowing that I can't control gasoline or insurance costs ouside my own actions.

And no, I haven't had an at-fault accident or totalled car in > 9 years... since about the time I was full of testosterone and short on driving skill....

By the way, you should check to see how much this is going to affect your personal insurance after this.

You can think of insurance as a personal payment plan: If you did $9000 of damage, your rates will go up so that you pay off that $9000 just in time to have your next at-fault accident... insurance companies play the odds. They're a business, after all....

How much are you currently paying per year in insurance?
Any guesses on what it'll be for the next year?
Old 09-06-2004, 05:27 PM
WPS

Originally Posted by S2k Dude,Sep 6 2004, 12:35 PM

(BTW, thanks for helping to increase everyone else's auto insurance rates.)
<bandwagon>yeah thanks for the insurance hike</bandwagon>

wish i was the first one to say

anyway, rule of thumb seriously. if you have a new car, drive safely. if your s2k is worth 30g's and it costs 29,999 to fix. the insurance will fix it.
it is very hard to total a new car. especially with the s2k. the engine is way back behind the front axles.
only way to total it is to magically lose the oil bolt and trash the engine and leave teh top down whilst at the body shop and pray for rain, destroying the interior, especially those expensive seats.

well if you learn a lesson, an expensive lesson, then it;s not all a waste.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HyRRZ, you do pretty well communicating in English as a second language.

Do you have a first one?
Old 09-06-2004, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Sep 6 2004, 04:53 PM
well before the S I had a 86 corolla hatch(trueno). And as far as unskilled goes, who's to say i'm not better then you or anyone else. I wonder how you would have handled the situation. The car probably would have made it if not for the leaves and crap on the road, but I am not blamming what happen to that.
The real question is:
How much over the posted speed limit were you going?

It's true that not many of us could have "saved it" going 90mph around a curve we "didn't see," with "leaves and crap" on the road.

What we're saying is that our driving judgement would have prevented us from grossly speeding... in a relatively unfamiliar car (MY 2004, s2k age<50d)... at night... on a road with "leaves and crap" on it.

This is NOT a video game.
This should not turn into a "kids can't drive" thread.
But your judgement and experience are the weak links in your overall driving package.

I hope that the increase in insurance doesn't prevent you from many happy years in your Honda... it really is a fantastic car. Just make sure you and the car are both around long enough to enjoy it.

And before you go cussing and crabbing about "that old guy doesn't know sh!t..."

Answer these questions:
1. Call your insurance company and ask how much your premium is going to increase (if they don't drop you).
2. Post the new number here.
3. Was the "fun" of speeding with your friends worth the extra $200 per month that you'll be paying for the next three years?
4. Would you do it again?

If the answer is "no, that was totally not worth the extra thousands...." consider yourself edjubacated.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by WPS,Sep 6 2004, 08:27 PM
if your s2k is worth 30g's and it costs 29,999 to fix. the insurance will fix it.
I have to disagree. The practice varies by insurance company but generally insurance companies will not repair a vehicle if the repair cost exceeds 60% of the vehicle's value. At that point it would be considered totalled and market value of the vehicle would be paid out.

My experience: four month old 2004 STi totalled after it decided to slide into a tree and severely dent the right side of the car between the doors. No damage to motor or any part of the drivetrain. Damage estimate was 65% of the market value of $29,900. InsCo totalled the car.

(and no this didn't happen at Road America)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ha-evolution,Sep 6 2004, 09:21 PM
I have to disagree. The practice varies by insurance company but generally insurance companies will not repair a vehicle if the repair cost exceeds 60% of the vehicle's value. At that point it would be considered totalled and market value of the vehicle would be paid out.

My experience: four month old 2004 STi totalled after it decided to slide into a tree and severely dent the right side of the car between the doors. No damage to motor or any part of the drivetrain. Damage estimate was 65% of the market value of $29,900. InsCo totalled the car.

(and no this didn't happen at Road America)
wow you got lucky...the insurance company will prefer NOT total the car unless they absolutely have to...the actual #'s vary by state but the lowest i've seen is 75% of value to as high as 100% of value
Old 09-07-2004, 05:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The drop was about 200ft and the 5 freeway was at the bottom.

I know the S is not the corolla, but that means nothing about me needing driving lessons to learn about "my S". Learn about the car, and how to drive it, yeah right, I wonder how many of the people hat I see giving advice about driving school have ever actually taken it themselves. How many of them have had accidents afterwards.

There is probably three cars on that kill list that were street races. Yes I know the S is not a drag car, I bought it knowing that. I will be going the the track events, just waiti ng on one that fits my schedule.

Um as for the whole thing about english being my second language, wnd what's my first. well........what???? I don't know maybe if you do not understand my writting then you should consider learning to read in english first.

It's all in the past now, lesson learned, will not happen again. I could care less about everyone else's insurance problems, all that matters to me is mine. As for my car I await it's return, and I have three weeks to think about the accident until it does return.

I appreciate everyone comments, and concerns no matter what was said.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good note to end on.

Only you can prevent forest fires.