S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Traffic Ticket

Old 02-23-2003, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic Ticket

I recently got a ticket and have to show up to court. Now I know the case gets dropped if the cop doesn't show, so when I go there, do I plead guilty or not guilty? I have never been to court so I dunno, if I plead guilty and the cop doesn't show, does the case still get dropped?
Old 02-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, there is absolutely no reason to plead guilty if you are going to show up to court. The whole point of showing up to court is because you want to contest the ticket.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:41 PM

I hate to burst your bubble, but it is not an automatic drop if the cop doesn't show, at least in Virginia.... sometimes they will continue the case until the cop's next due court date... I just got a continuance because the cop couldn't be at court when the scheduled date was for...
Old 02-23-2003, 04:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know how it applies in the US, but here in Alberta Canada, if you go to court, a plea is not entered unless and only the issuing officer is present. If the officer fails to attend, the court may

1) Continue the trial without the officer
2) Arrange another court date
3) Drop the charge.

In addition, in Alberta, you can attend court on the date specified, and make a "deal" so to speak with the Prosecutor. He/she may offer you a reduction in fine, demerit points or both. If you agree to the "deal" then you must still plead guilty to the offence, but to a lesser charge which you have arranged with the prosecutor.

Hope that helps. PM me if you have any further questions.
Good luck
Asif
Old 02-23-2003, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by YeLLoWs2knVA
do I plead guilty or not guilty?
Maybe I missed something, like the facts of the case. Doesn't your plea depend on whether or not you are guilty?

Happy belated birthday, by the way.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Luft46
I hate to burst your bubble, but it is not an automatic drop if the cop doesn't show, at least in Virginia.... sometimes they will continue the case until the cop's next due court date... I just got a continuance because the cop couldn't be at court when the scheduled date was for...
correct you are. it could still continue. keep in mind, continuance must be filed 24 hours in advance though. so if you aren't told otherwise, then it might be a no-no on their end.

I've been told that the officer couldn't make it and he filed a continuance after I drove three hours just to get to the court. After hearing this and contesting that I was supposed to be notified beforehand, they fined me over "arguing" and "making up such laws" since I'm not a lawyer.

Well, I cashed in a favor. Contacted a friend who set me up with another friend who was a JP in the area as well. They wanted to 'catch her' (the judge) doing this crap again. Sure enough, I didn't have to worry about any of the fines, charges, etc. The judge, she's still there doing her dirty deeds, but with a nice little black mark in her book.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:42 AM

I suggest you hire a respected attorney.

It may cost you a couple hundred but I guarantee it will be worth it.

Just do it!
Old 02-24-2003, 04:16 AM

Sounds like you guys have some nice escape routes. Criminal proceedings are handled by the Crown Prosecution Service in the UK, and not the Police. They are always present as this is their sole purpose. You could NEVER get off a charge just because the cop was busy or on holiday.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by custer
[B]I suggest you hire a "respected attorney".

is that an oxymoron?
Old 02-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Well I just came back from court and the charge got dropped. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Quick Reply: Traffic Ticket