S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Traded in the S..... Got a Z

Old 05-15-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded in the S..... Got a Z

I know..... Don't flame me!! I was looking forward to keeping the S2000 for a long time. Thing is, I have had to many problems with it and it was going out of warranty in 2 months. I really loved my S. It was a 2001 and only had 14,000 miles on it and rarely ever saw a drop of rain. I have had it in the shop for clutch related problems 4 times. The most recent problem is a vibration and "squeak" that develops when it warms up. It is VERY noticeable and continued to get worse. Last time it was at the dealer for a week and they assured me that it was fixed (replaced the master cylinder, etc.) but the problem continued to get worse. I took it back in and the service tech who works on all the S's told me that they do not know what is wrong with it. This time they will have to tear down the clutch system again and see if they can locate the problem. I have read numerous forums on this. All I can say is that at least on my car, and others I have read about, these problems are a joke. Honda quality is evident in the engine but lets face it, the transmission (clutch, etc) is the weak point for the car and is unacceptable. I only hope that this they fix this in the mfg process. Bottom line is I am not going to get stuck with expensive repair bills tracing down problems with process of elimination games. I also did not want to sell the car to an individual because I would not want to get stuck with it myself. Therefore, I traded it in and got a new 350Z. The good news is that the S2000 held its value well so I was only out a couple grand and got a new car. It will be my daily driver. Anyways, thanks to all of you who helped me with valuable information over the past 2 years. I will miss the S. Oh and by the way, I will keep those guys in the 350Z forums in check when the rag out the S. Remember also that all 350Z owners are not jerks.

So long!
Old 05-15-2004, 01:49 PM

Wow an s2k with that many problems? Thats pretty rare. I know from the owenrs that the 350z is more problematic than the s2k.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:53 PM

Sorry to say, you just bought another problem child...
Old 05-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you all the best with your new ride.

I am confused though that "I have never read" a forum describing the tranny problem that you describe. I am only familiar with the clutch buzz that Honda repairs under the TSB. "Weak transmission?" Kinda lost there too. Never heard a blanket statement like that ever used to describe what most understand is one of the finest tranny's in any production car.

I think I would rather send someone else over to the 350Z side to defend my S2000 from a few jerks.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if ina year or two you reconsider, and are posting the same nottice ina 350Z Forum, I for one will welcome you back. Good Luck with your new ride, and let's hope it is more satisfying to you. I cosndered and drove both cars, but the Z felt more like my Corvettes and Cobra, and I was looking for a scalpel.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Please tell us you got the drop top version
Old 05-15-2004, 04:43 PM

I hate to say i like the S but i agree with S2k1xlr8 mine has been nothing but problems in 2 years of ownership i would say its been broke down for 90 days or more give or take...all drive line issue mostly transmission stuff and CV joints should not go out at 40000 miles......my first tranny was rebuilt under warranty at 13000 miles including new clutch.....then another clutch then another clutch the another tranny at 38000 miles just after warranty how convienant and then cv joints.....no motor problems though..or electrical issues........I do not track my car but i do drive it for what it was designed. I am by no means a granny driver...........I do think the tranny is also the weak link in the car along with rear end and cv joints following 2nd and 3rd...........i do appreaciate the car when it is running though.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:43 PM

good luck with the Z. my friend has one and they are nice, fast cars
Old 05-15-2004, 04:52 PM

Only out a couple of grand and yours was an '01...and you bought an '04 Z. How did you do that?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:03 PM

I thought 350Zs were having numerous tire and transmission problems, some of which Nissan has been unable to fix or refused to.

Quick Reply: Traded in the S..... Got a Z