S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tow Bolt Sheared! Fell Off Flatbed

Old 08-12-2004, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Bolt Sheared! Fell Off Flatbed

So I had my first accident in any vehicle last evening. It had just started raining, I made a turn (not too fast or anything), hit a curb and messed up my rear wheel. My rear tires barely passed inspection a few weeks ago, and well you know what they say about hindsight.

Regardless, that's why I had a flatbed come. So the operator puts in the rear tow hook, gets it up on the bed. It's all the way up, still tilted, retracted some so that there is about 2-3 feet from the end of the bed to the ground. The operator is strapping the front wheel down, and BANG! The tow hook bolt shears and my car has a 3 foot head on with the ground. There was no front end damage at all before it fell.

Needless to say, it shook me up, and my heart sunk further down into my stomach than it was previously.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Does anyone have any advice for what I should do about this? It's near 3AM now, this all happened about 3 hours ago and I'm still pretty shook up.

I'll try and get a photo of the tow bolt when I can.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that's why we sell these: http://marketplace.s2ki.com/s2ki/customer/...9&cat=33&page=1

Really sorry yours failed in such a spectacular fashion.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:19 AM

I'm sorry to say but your tow truck guy was a MORON...period and the company should be responsible for any damage that they cause by doing something so stupid.

The tow hook is only to be used for straight level flat ground towing. It should not be used for towing at an incline. It specifically should NOT be used to tow a vehicle onto a flat bed nor should it be used as a tie down. This is explicitly listed as prohibited use. I doubt that even an upgraded tow hook would have made a difference here, because the bolt hole is not designed for this either.

Basically your towing company did something stupid and they are responsible for the damages that your vehicle incurred, not you and not your insurance company.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:48 AM

[QUOTE=CrazyPhuD,Aug 13 2004, 01:19 AM]I'm sorry to say but your tow truck guy was a MORON...period and the company should be responsible for any damage that they cause by doing something so stupid.

The tow hook is only to be used for straight level flat ground towing.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:48 AM

I disagree. The name "tow hook" warrants that it can be used for towing. Honda should have designed it to do just that. Instead, they gave us a toy hook that has resulted in serious damage to several cars.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:55 AM

Hmm. Well, as they say, "live and learn." Certainly a lesson learned the hard way. My poor car! I honestly have a hard time calling the operator a moron for it.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i have heard of the hook failing, but that sucks.... i guess in hindsight he should have put the E-brake on before strapping in the front tire....plus made the car level if it was completely on the flatbed..... but none of that fixes your problems.....

i would talk to the dealership where you bought the car and ask for a regional honda rep....?

how bad is the damage to the front of the car?
Old 08-13-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing - i cranked down the rear tow hook and the driver had the car 3/4 of the way up when "snap" needless to say when he called his boss - his boss told him never to use the tow hooks - luckily i just scrapped up my lip a bit and then traded the car in

scary sight huh?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:03 AM
gsp

Where is the best place to hook-up at?????
Old 08-13-2004, 07:23 AM

OK, I just got back from the tow lot and got a good look at the damage in light for the first time. Took a bunch of photos. Front end damage appears to be mild to moderate cosmetically. Definitely need a new bumper and lip. I couldn't get under her to check anything else out, so I'll have to see what the body shop says about it later on today.

After the hook snapped the tow guy just put a giant hook on the other rear wheel's strut. And I'm pretty sure that he had the E-brake on when it fell. There was a misty rain (one of the reasons I needed the tow truck in the first place) and when the bolt snapped it just slid right down the steel bed regardless of the brake. And yes, it was scary! I'm very thankful that no one was around the car when it fell. Only a few minutes earlier I was near it with a flashlight, checking out the other damage.

As a side note, I have a new found respect for Friday the 13th.

Quick Reply: Tow Bolt Sheared! Fell Off Flatbed