S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

"Total Loss Vehicle" but Clean Title

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Total Loss Vehicle" but Clean Title

Hey guys,

I test drove a 01 AP1 with 62k miles on it this morning. We drove around for about 30 min and everything is working perfectly. The paint is great, interior is awesome, it looks like it's only a couple years old.

We initially agreed on a price of $10,700.

So I get home and go on carfax and it's a "total loss vehicle" and shows an accident about a year ago, but still has a clean title. According to carfax the repair value is around 75% of the resale value when declared a "total loss"

My insurance company will insure it, I can get the loan for it, I'm just on the fence because i'm confused as to why it doesn't have a branded title.

Any help, advice on this one? It's in great condition...I just don't know.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:32 AM

Oh also, he gave me the inspection report from the local honda dealerhip that he just had done and everything checked out great on it, not sure what to think of this.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Well, Im not entirely sure why it would not have a salvage title. Carfax should of had it totaled. Did you bring it up to the guy ask him if he wrecked it bought it back and rebuilt it? If i were you check make sure the frame isnt bent, everything is great mechanically(valves,retainers, compression). If it is and you really are deadset on this car will you ever want to sell/trade it in? If all falls right, Id get it good price.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seat theft? (no joke)
Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ace123,Jul 9 2009, 01:32 PM
Seat theft? (no joke)
That is what I am thinking. The total cost of a replacement Honda top and seats can be very expensive.
I would ask the guy and make sure I knew why it is listed that way. Come time for you to sell it and the next buyer will want to know the same.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 AM

IF the seller knows what it was he should have already disclosed that to you.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM

Looking further at the carfax, it was in an accident in 8/08, so don't think it was the seat theft. An insurance agent just told me that sometimes if the owner rejects the car after the accident, basically by saying they don't want it, the insurance company will keep the title and repair it. That's why it would be "total loss" with clean title. Anyways...the credit union just told me they won't do a loan for "total loss" vehicle regardless of whether it's salvage or not. Interesting situation, but I'm going to hold out for a good one.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 AM

In this case, verbal info is useless. Only official documentation from the ins co or the state is helpful. Everything else is just BS. I run, not walk, from these cars unless they come with a lot of very official docs, including pictures. And the car has to be priced very low and pass inspection by a professional rebuilder who knows all the tricks.
For me, a questionable title car must be at least 33% cheaper than a comparable clean titled one, & meet the above criteria.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And then again it could be nothing. I've seen multiple erroneous Car Fax reports.

I had a car totalled and I bought back the car back for salvage value and carfax never showed it.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all the VIN stickers on every panel and make sure they all match. Usually its a pretty good indicator whicih parts of the car was hit. You can always check if its been repainted too.

Quick Reply: "Total Loss Vehicle" but Clean Title