S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Torn hood

Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torn hood

Got the car delivered 5 months ago brand new, and was fine for a while, but a month ago the hood stopped going down all the way. Then two weeks ago, as it was going down it seemed to have some resitance, and then there was a pop.

Bringing it back up, the clip has popped a hole in the hood, the width of the clip and a perfect line. I was gutted.

Brought it back to a Honda garage as it has full warrenty, but they claim that this is not covered!! They say I was bringing the hood down incorrectly (in multiple bursts.). Now the hood won't go down through the last 20% of it's travel.

How can this be my fault?

Have you guys seen this before? Any suggestions? This was my dream car, and I used to love Honda and their engineering, and customer service. Now I'm bloody fuming.

Cheers lads.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you take a picture?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:55 AM

I wanna help but we need pics man cuz idk what your talking about...the hood was punctured from closing it ...well now you have an air vent
Old 10-18-2007, 03:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

** Edit **

I thought you meant the HOOD aka engine cover. Not the convertible top.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:54 AM

I've got a pic on my phone, so will resize it and post it up when I get home.

Honda claim that unless you pull the hood down (using the switch) in one clean motion, the warranty is invalidated. I did use one clean motion - they don't seem to care,.

I sat in the driver seat, undid the clips, clipped them back up and used the switch as always (we've had a pretty good summer here in the UK, so plenty of hood down action)

Except this time it punched a hole.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 AM

ooooooooooooo your talking about the convertible top! yeah its been a common prob...damn brits and there terminology lol...sounds like there might have been resistance at one of the joints...you should have checked that first...if it didnt work the first time easily you should have inspected it...putting the top down with resistance is a nono...honda will and did toss this one in the operator error bin...sorry
Old 10-18-2007, 04:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bscott,Oct 18 2007, 02:37 AM
a month ago the hood stopped going down all the way.
I hate to say it but this is when you shoud have taken your car to Honda...

From what I have read, it can be a real crap shoot when you take a car to Honda for someting out of the ordinary.

It may help if you post this in the UK forum (if you haven't already).

Maybe you could try to contact Honda UK directly.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sparrow,Oct 18 2007, 03:58 AM
its been a common prob
With a car this new...

There have been may reports of frames wearing a hole in the top but the tops continue to function.

Honda claim that unless you pull the hood down (using the switch) in one clean motion, the warranty is invalidated.
This sounds like I have never heard of anything like this.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:23 AM

Sorry i meant getting a hole in the top as a result of the frame is common...y exactly his top had the initial prob is not common sorry for the confusion
Old 10-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

Mine was replaced under warranty for doing the exact same thing. It was going down...struggled a little...then pop it went down all the way. Next time I brought it up there was a small hole where the latch on the drivers side was shoved through the top. The only thing the dealer and I could figure out was that the bars in the top didn't fold down as intended because the elastic straps where a little weak. The dealer replaced it under warranty...

Quick Reply: Torn hood