S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Top Got Slashed...Need Opinion and Option

Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Got Slashed...Need Opinion and Option

Hi Guys. Well it finally happen to me and my top got slashed. damn bastard. Only thing they took was my radar. Slashed it two places and appear to happen in the middle of the night. I don't think they climbed on the body. Anyways, file a claim with insurance.

Should I call the police and do a police report?

The insurance told me to take it to any shop and they will have a appraisal come out. Thinking of going to honda dealership as I got my top replaced from them a few years ago.

I'm also thinking if I should opt for a hardtop?

will they write me a check if I opt to go somewhere else or do something else?

so basically the steps are:

1. take my car to a shop

2. appraisal guy comes and take picture and evaluate the damage

3. write up the paperwork

4. gives me a option to go ahead with repair or write me a check?

is that the process?

what do you guys recommend I do. Thanks for your input. What a shitty morning. After owning the car for 4 years.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 AM

That's pretty much the steps. You don't need to take the car to the dealership, they know what they are and should be able to give you a written quote. Chances are the insurance will lowball you for an offer, so then hand them the Honda quote. Take the check.

Then get some hookers and blow and do it CR style
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM

so I would just go to the honda dealership and ask them to quote me on how much it would cost to replace and install the softop?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by silvermonster,Feb 17 2011, 10:08 AM
so I would just go to the honda dealership and ask them to quote me on how much it would cost to replace and install the softop?
Honda will probably give you the highest quote, so I would take it to them. When you get the check in the mail, buy an EZ-On for under $500. Install it yourself on a Saturday. Use the rest of the $ to get a HT.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM

Yes take it to your local Honda get a qoate ( probably around 2 k) then buy an oem top from hardtopguy and put it on yourself you will pocket about 1100$

Depending on your area you can usually fond someone to help you and make it a fun time
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can get a ploice report, it might be worthwhile, and if it hasn't been too long (a good tool to use if insurance comes back and says something, although your comprehensive should cover it).

Get the Honda quote and take a check from your insurance company as everyone said. Get a HT or get an aftermarket softtop and pocket the rest.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi guys...well took a trip to two honda dealership and got a quote. wow its expensive. haha.

One honda total cost with labor and parts is 2763.69

and the other one was 2618.60.

I inquire about a hardtop and it was 2835.12 (3 day delivery) which isn't bad considering hardtop everywhere else I see it for 3k plus shipping.

Anyways, I'll be calling the insurance company again and tell them so I don't have to drive my car to the dealership with a rip top in the rain. The adjuster should come to my place and take picture and all that stuff, right?

I might go that route, purchase a softtop from ez-on and install it myself and then purchase a hardtop. Or buy a hardtop first and then consider getting a softtop down the road.

thanks for your input.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:38 AM

got off the phone with the insurance company, adjuster hasn't been assign to me yet and they won't come to my place. They need it taken to a shop? does that sound right.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM

Location: All up in your inner tubes. Whatcha gonna do sucka?

what insurance company is this you're dealing with?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 PM

i'm with wawanesa.

Quick Reply: Top Got Slashed...Need Opinion and Option