S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Top-Down too loud?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top-Down too loud?

Being an avid motorcyclist, it's common knowledge that even with a full face helmet and large windscreen, the db level is high enough at a constant 50-60mph that it will cause permanent hearing damage in 15-20 minutes.

Even the quietest full face helmet on the market is not enough to protect your hearing.

For reference, please see (you can google it yourself...I'm lazy):
- webbikeworld's helmet db level tests
- freehearingtest.com's motorcycle facts
- hearingtestlab's motorcycle tests
- articles in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine
- articles in Cycle World magazine

In Motorcycle Cruiser magazine, at 35mph it's a db level of 85-95 (wind noise, not engine noise), and at highway speeds it's roughly 115db
Safe exposure time is only 15 minutes at highway speeds.

With full face helmets, the quietest ones were around 105-110 at 55 mph.

For comparison, leafblower is 95d, bchainsaw is 105db, police siren is 120db.

Again, all wind noise only, not including engine noise. The reason riders don't notice is because the frequency level of the wind-noise is not "annoying", for those that don't ride, it's almost like a dull humm/roar...not bothersome at all.

Motorcyclists (those that ride more than just on nice weekends at least) generally wear riding earplugs for the wind noise. With the plugs in you still hear better than in a car with the windows cracked open.

So...what I'm getting at is...
the S2000 is my first convertible car and it's a lot of fun with the top down. But is the windnoise loud enough to be worried?

Should we be wearing ear plugs when driving top-down for long distances? Let's say I take a day long road trip, are earplugs a good idea?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:27 AM

I wouldnt think so... I mean heck if I roll the windows up I can talk on my phone at highway speeds!!! (for the most part)

compared to my miata I can barely talk on the phone with the TOP UP going highway speeds. what u said does make me wonder if I should wear earplugs when riding by bike tho and maybe the miata lol....hmmm
Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure its nothing like the driving a motorcycle. youll get used to it.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Get a 70mm single exhaust. Wind noise won't be a problem.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 AM

I'm an avid motorcyclist myself. There is a big difference when your head is in the air path to being encased behind a windshield made for blocking ALL air flow to the driver's head. The only air noise I get in my S2K is the small amount wistling by the mirrors. I talk on my cell phone while driving the interstate top down, windows down, no problem. The hearing damage on a motorcycle is actually caused by the helmet (or rather the air sound created as air passes angles and orifices on the helmet near your ears).

- JL
Old 01-07-2009, 09:16 AM

i would think yes, it does hurt your hearing. especially when u gotta crank up your system to compensate for the ambient noise.

i get ringing in my ears a lot after driving the S.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always wondered about this myself because I've gone on s2k rides for hours at a time with the top down. I can talk on the phone with the top and windows down at interstate speeds and I don't have ringing in my ears. *shrug* I actually think it's worse to drive with the top up and the windows down because the edge of the soft top creates a good bit of drag and therefore noise; from my experience at least.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Yeah, motorcyclist here too. I doubt it causes the same problem. Unless you are 7 feet tall!

Yes, you have to turn the stereo up as you drive faster, but all my cars are like that. Most have built in volume increase. The luxury cars are the only ones that might not need it.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Yeah, didn't think there was anything to worry about. Just curious as to other owners' thoughts.

I've ridden the bike both with and without (stupid, I know...I was younger at the time) for long periods of time, I get ringing in my ears if I don't wear plugs, especially when without a helmet or earplugs.

However, I took a 3 hour highway trip with the top down in the S2000 once and never got ringing ears, but it sure seemed loud.

Guess there's nothing to worry about.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM

The S is especially loud compared to other convertibles I've driven. I'll bet the wind noise does get up to hazardous levels at 65 MPH but nowhere near my m/c's wind noise. Anyone got a decibel meter?

Quick Reply: Top-Down too loud?