S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Top down, Heat on Max, do you RECIRCULATE the air? Why or why not?

Old 01-20-2002, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top down, Heat on Max, do you RECIRCULATE the air? Why or why not?

I want maximum heat when I have the top down, side windows down and the heater going at max. Do you use the recirculate setting? Is it warmer if you do? Tell me all your reasons and theories about which setting gets me the most heat.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:27 PM

No because:
1. Recirculate does not blow air through the centre console vents.
2. I find that max heat is too hot without recirculation - my feet, in particular, get way too hot.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ever you have to spend the night in your car in a snowdrift then recirculate is the setting to use. To state the obvious it doesn't draw in fresh air on that setting but continually recirculates the same air. It is a very dangerous setting to use in normal driving, the reason being that the interior glass surfaces soon steam up alarmingly once the car has warmed up. I sometimes use the recirculate setting to warm the car up on very cold mornings. It's very easy to forget you've used the setting until it becomes almost impossible to see out of the windows. It is quickly cleared by returning the setting to circulate and putting the air con on and boosting up the blower. The recirculate setting is responsible for numerous accidents where people do not realise it's function. A neighbour of mine with a Fiat Punto was complaining bitterly about the inside of the car steaming up on his drive to work to the extent that he was continually wiping the inside screen to be able to see out. It turned out he had the setting on recirculate!
Old 01-20-2002, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
If ever you have to spend the night in your car in a snowdrift then recirculate is the setting to use. To state the obvious it doesn't draw in fresh air on that setting but continually recirculates the same air. It is a very dangerous setting to use in normal driving, the reason being that the interior glass surfaces soon steam up alarmingly once the car has warmed up. I sometimes use the recirculate setting to warm the car up on very cold mornings. It's very easy to forget you've used the setting until it becomes almost impossible to see out of the windows. It is quickly cleared by returning the setting to circulate and putting the air con on and boosting up the blower. The recirculate setting is responsible for numerous accidents where people do not realise it's function. A neighbour of mine with a Fiat Punto was complaining bitterly about the inside of the car steaming up on his drive to work to the extent that he was continually wiping the inside screen to be able to see out. It turned out he had the setting on recirculate!
Cedric, some good advice but I am not sure this applies Top Down, which is what scooby was asking about.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Yes, I'm talking about top down driving and I want maximum heat. I still get heat from the center vents above the radio even with recirc ON with the knob set at the "top down" setting. I also noticed today if I have recirc selected, once I change the knob to a different vent position, the recirc automatically is de-selected. I'm thinking the interior air has to be at least a bit warmer than the outside air so RECIRC makes the car warmer. No? Yes?
Old 01-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duh!!

Sorry Scooby2, I misunderstood your question. I suppose yes, the air would be hotter on recirculate.
Old 01-20-2002, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by scooby2
I also noticed today if I have recirc selected, once I change the knob to a different vent position, the recirc automatically is de-selected. I'm thinking the interior air has to be at least a bit warmer than the outside air so RECIRC makes the car warmer. No? Yes?
That was my point scooby - in my Australian S2k I cannot get recirc to operate with the "top down" position (which is the only position which operates the centre console vents). I wouldn't be surprised if this was different for different markets though.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Fed

No recirculate of air when driving with the top down, why? Because at high speeds, you can force more air through the vents at high temps.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:33 AM

I was told to use the recirc at all times whenever the top is up because it is how the micron filter is engaged. Especially good for A/C if it is true. With the top down it's not gonna matter too much, I would leave the recirc off.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:51 AM

I don't know why, but I consistently get GREATER airflow coming out of the vents when I have recirculation on. I usually only turn it on with the top down if I want super duper melt my hands kinda heat.

Quick Reply: Top down, Heat on Max, do you RECIRCULATE the air? Why or why not?