S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Top Damage

Old 05-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Damage

Does dropping a dirty top damage it? I have not had a chance to wash my car for over a month and so dust has accumulated. I drop the top everyday I drive it. I have recently noticed "rub marks" in my top (bought it 6 months ago), and am thinking this is attributed to the dirty top. Is this just normal wear? I am guessing the hot California sun makes this worse since our top is vinyl and the hot top will rub/melt easier.

For the record, I do take care of the car, just not in the last month
Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ROTFLMAO.....
Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as you wash it soon enough it should be fine.. The glass/plastic window is succeptable to more damage with dirt and debris to scratch it.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,May 11 2008, 11:49 PM
As long as you wash it soon enough it should be fine.. The glass/plastic window is succeptable to more damage with dirt and debris to scratch it.
I do typically wash every two weeks. The car is driven with the top down each time.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Anybody else notice this on their cars?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a noticeable amount of dirt on your top, then yes lowering it while dirty can cause excessive wear.

I keep a Zymol duster in my trunk so that I can lightly dust off the car of dust/pollen. Be careful with this on your paint, if you use it incorrectly you can cause scratches on your paint. You can also use one of those lint rollers for the top.

Always keep your top protected with Raggtop or 303 to avoid UV damage from the sun.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by tekstar,May 12 2008, 09:58 AM
If you have a noticeable amount of dirt on your top, then yes lowering it while dirty can cause excessive wear.

I keep a Zymol duster in my trunk so that I can lightly dust off the car of dust/pollen. Be careful with this on your paint, if you use it incorrectly you can cause scratches on your paint. You can also use one of those lint rollers for the top.

Always keep your top protected with Raggtop or 303 to avoid UV damage from the sun.
The key to keeping your top in good condition is to keep it clean and protected from sun damage. I suggest you check out the wash and wax threads for more information and invest in either Raggtop (which I prefer) or 303. Our sponsors carry both products and offer a discount btw.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Every soft top s2k Ive ever seen has lines worn into the window from the top being down and rubbing on the window. Meguairs plastic polish will take it out.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Below link is a recent discussion. The previously posted bottom pix show the usual story. The round hinge edge shown with the black arrow had a sharp burred edge on my frame which I filed off and rounded with the file on a leatherman tool. It was tearing a strip in the threads on the cloth inside of the top when the top was down. Bottom pix are of a thin protective vinal patch on the spot to protect the spot. Note when the frame is folding down, it is the rounded frame hinge that is going to center into the patch. The ~flat horozontal frame member (which also has a sharp edge in my s2k) doesn't seem to get much contact with the top. As usual, YMMV. One needs to closely inspect their own s2k to determine what is their particular top wear causing component.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=573790&st=0

NEW 8/1/08: Simple chalk test
Get a piece of chalk (white works well) and scrape some off on the round edge of the hinge shown by the black arrow in the above pix. When you have powdered chalk on the round edge, put the top full down, then raise it back up. Notice where the powdered chalk has been rubbed off on the top. Observable proof of what part is comming in contact with the top and causing the wear spot. If I can find a decent cam, I'll take some pix.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by tekstar,May 12 2008, 09:58 AM

I do use the 303 on my top and apply it each month. Just this one month I got lazy and had not washed the car, now I have the stupid rub marks.

Quick Reply: Top Damage