S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Took my first test drive of an S2K

Old 06-14-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took my first test drive of an S2K

Ok, so I'm selling my gass guzzling GSX for a more fuel economical, yet still fun, car. My list of cars owned as progressed as follows, 69 Camarro, 94 Mazda Miata, 97 Eclipse GSX. I remember i first saw an s2000 when i was serching for my miata. At the time I thought it was one of the most bad ass sports cars I had ever seen. I had to double check when I saw that it was a Honda. I had made fun of Hondas ever since I was in hight school. Mostly because of the kids that drive them like they think they are staring in The Fast and the Furious. Any way, when gass prices started sky rocketting my over powered GSX became less fun. When I'm paying for supreem and only getting 18 to 22 miles per gallon, I figured it was time to move on to a more economical car(plus if I realy want to go fast, I've still got the Aprilia Milles 1000 RSV). I remebered the "bad ass" car i had seen in the paper all those years back, and figured that with the time passing, they should be in my price range, and some of them are. Today I was driving by a car lot and saw my dream version of the s2k...any year, silver. So I talked my friend into turing in. Fortunatly the sales man had bean itching to test drive it him self, so we took it for a test drive. He pulled the car off the lot, and drove for about two miles. This gave me time to pay atention to the seats. For my size, the seat hugged me just right holding me in place. The slightly larger sales man had slight back problems. I did have a problem with the color of the interior though...it was red, very red. Everything in the cabin was red. The only thing that was not was the shift boot and the center consol. Over all i enjoyed the seats and the stability of the ride.
Then we changed postions. At first I was a little timmid being as that I did not oun this car. I was imediatly reminded of my miata. I had forgoten how much better rear wheel drive is than any other version, frount or all. I was rather unimpressed by the acceleration at first untill i realized I was used to a Big 16G turbo spooling up and cramming me into the back of my seat. I was also a little nervouse about going abouve 5000 RPM on a car that was not mine...pluss the whole speed thing in broad day light. Perhaps someone can tell me just how much of an effect the VTEC has on acceleration. I did very much fall in love with the clutch and the shift. The clutch has a very short throw, and the shifter moves about as much as my eclpse after I instlled the short shifter. Plus this has to be the smoothest shift I have ever experienced in a car. I felt no restance and could find all 6 gears with out even thinking about it. I never missed a shift during the entire test dive, and I wasn't even consentrating on it. Then we got to a few slight twistys...I love twistys. I was very impressed, I felt almost no body lean at all, the car felt solid with no signs of an unitentional drift. Originaly I thought once I got one of these cars I would imediatly do suspention work, but if all S2Ks are like this I don't feel any hurry. Does the fact that the car i test drove only had around 16k on the odometer effect this? does the suspention losen up with time? Either way I was surpised once again how smoth the ride was on the freeway. After the whole no body roll thing, I expected a rough ride, but once again the car felt solid and strong. If it wasn't for the fact that the top was down, I could have sworn i was standing still. On the free way though, I did have an interesting experieance. Looking around I thought i was doing about 45 mph, when i checked the speedo i was doing 65. Kind of like ridding bike. I did have one more problem though on the way back. When pulling up to a stop light the emergancy flashers turned on. My thought was oh #%&* I broke the car!!!! what did I do? I soon disovered that I was letting my right hand rest on the center consol next to the shifter and had unknowingly depressed the button with my wrist. In all honesty I believe that that is the only problem I have with the car. I know when I get one that I will be constantly, accedntaly, turning on the emergency flashers.
All, in all, I think I'm sold on the car. Someone is comeing to buy my GSX next week, and then I need to find someone who wants to off load thier silver, black interior s2k
Old 06-14-2006, 11:51 PM

Never had a problem with the emergency flashers, but I did have a problem with the mirror/rear window defroster button in the beginning, it is located right behind the shifter on the MY04-06. Now I'm used to it and never hit it accidentally again... But I think you're problem is that you never got the car above 6000rpm, you should have gone into VTEC, then the car was SOLD now
Old 06-14-2006, 11:58 PM

Posibly, but I have no buying power untill my GSX is officialy gone. Plus that all red interior was horible. I've seen other years with red interior that had more black high lights to brake it up. This was on 03 by the way that I test drove. I am curious now as to what it feels like when the VTEC kicks in.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:10 AM

did u say you didnt pass 5000 rpm?? hehe.....u missed the best part
Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 AM

I think you will pee in your pants when it goes in VTEC
Old 06-15-2006, 12:46 AM

[QUOTE=Lionheart,Jun 15 2006, 03:16 AM] I think you will pee in your pants when it goes in VTEC
Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 AM

Yah, you basically test drove a rwd civic if you didn't hit v-tec. It was definitely taking the car to 9000 rpm's on the test drive that sold me on the s2k.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1Ferris,Jun 15 2006, 11:30 AM
Yah, you basically test drove a rwd civic if you didn't hit v-tec. It was definitely taking the car to 9000 rpm's on the test drive that sold me on the s2k.
Same for me! When I tested the S for the first time in 2004, I was not impressed at all with the car for the first miles... I thought to myself... Why is everybody so talking about this thing, it is barely quicker then my 2.0 GTi...

But then I took off at an intersection and hit 9000 in the first 3 gears... That was going so quick, the other cars seemed to be standing still, I got such a rush of adrenaline, the gearbox could cope with the superfast shifting without grinding, the noice from the car was like F1 territory that I decided on buying the S that same day! I even drove the Boxster and Boxster S, the Z4 2.5 and 3.0, the SLK Compressor etc... But the first time I hit VTEC in the S and that and came on my face, I was S.O.L.D.!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:46 AM

You definitely should have revved it to VTEC

When I first drove my friend's s2000, I fell in love with the feeling of the car. The car does feel solid and the shifts were smooth.

Up to this day I still have my sights on one and I'm planning on getting one by the end of the year.

I hope you can sway the same way
Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitetiger777,Jun 15 2006, 02:36 AM
When I'm paying for supreem and only getting 18 to 22 miles per gallon, I figured it was time to move on to a more economical car.
If this is your primary intention for changing cars, you won't do much better with the S2000. You'll see 20-24 mgp (premium/supreme) with average city and highway driving and the top down whenever appropriate. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Took my first test drive of an S2K