S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tonneau / Hey Mingster

Old 12-16-2000, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the Miata one:

Old 12-17-2000, 04:18 AM

I had just such a custom-made tonneau cover on my '95 Miata. It was convenient when parking at rallies and during short stops on tours -- to cover the interior quickly and keep it cool and dust-free. It does not, of course, keep dust and leaves or whatever from accumulating on the inside of the widnshield.

As well, it is meant to be used during solo driving to protect the "unused", passenger portion of the cockpit -- protecting the upholstery from sun-fading effects and dust, and also helping the AC or heater direct more of its air at the driver.

Unfortunately, when used in this fashion, even though it seemed taut enough when the car was sationary, it flapped annoyingly while I was driving at highway speeds. I tried various things to tighten it even more (like attaching a short bingee strap between the middle of its interior edge -- at the zipper -- and the centre console), but nothing prevented it from jiggling, vibrating, wavering and flapping in that middle section of its length, just on the lower right periphery of my field of vision. Drove me crazy.

Were I to ever buy one for the S2000, it'd have to be very tight and relatively stiff. (Just like me.)
Old 12-17-2000, 07:39 AM

RoadSurfer: Thanks for the info. Would be part of the challenge for design. Maybe the unused buckle-holder for the passenger side seatbelt could serve as an anchor point for two straps, accompanied by a permanent batton or battons adjacent to the zipper on the pasenger side. Thanks. dgl1
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoadSurfer:

...but nothing prevented it from jiggling, vibrating, wavering and flapping in that middle section of its length, just on the lower right periphery of my field of vision. Drove me crazy.

Old 12-17-2000, 11:22 AM

Yes, exactly one of the other fixes I tried, or at least thought of -- attaching an easily removable stiff, yardstick-like stiffener along the zipper side of the passenger half. (It'd have to be removable so the cover could be rolled up behind the seat when the passenger seat was occupied.) Just couldn't figure out how to produce and attach such a "baton".

It's a challenge, awright.