S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tonneau / Hey Mingster

Old 12-15-2000, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mingster: Some interest is evident for a cover for the S2k cockpit. One that can be used while driving solo (tonneau cover) would seem more versitile than a mini-car cover. Have you found anything yet? TIA dgl1
Old 12-15-2000, 10:29 PM

were you referring to what 1Y2KS2K got? I thought the tonneau cover was to cover the convertible top.
Old 12-16-2000, 01:45 AM

DGL1: Is that what you were thinking of:

...if so, go to this thread: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...p?threadid=2518

OTOH, I think dgl1 MAY be refering to the European style of cover which was used with older sports cars such as MGs and Austin Healeys. I believe it consisted of a single leather piece which covered the whole interior, with zip in/out openings for the driver and passenger. The idea was to prevent dust and dirt getting inside the car when driving. Then when you parked, you simply zipped up the opening over the driver and/or passenger side so that the cover completely covered the interior from the dash to the back of seats. While it worked well for the old "sit up and beg" style of driving in those pre and post-war cars, I'm not sure this kind of design could be adapted for use with the interior arrangement of the current S2K.

Dgl1, if this is what you're thinking of, maybe you should ask Rick Hesel what he thinks about the possibilities for such a cover.
Old 12-16-2000, 05:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the idea of the zip open cover like the ones on the old MGs, Triumph's, etc. But you'll need attachment points for the Honda, wherein lies the problem of making one.

I'll begin thinking about this with Townsend Leather and ReedZ, but not until the weather gets better up here in the currently frigid Northeast.

I have the cover pictured in this thread, but it's a very poor replacement for the zip up type, which was a great fit (I remember fondly the one on my TR-3 -- it was far easire to use than the ridiculous top, which took about 20 minutes to assemble with the side curtains.)

You younger members probably don't even know what we're talking about, since these kinds of tonneau covers seem to have disappeared with the old British sports cars popular in the 60s.

What an additional babe incentive this might be. Just zip open (so to speak), and let her on .
Old 12-16-2000, 07:29 AM

Miatas have nice tonneau covers, with the zipper in the middle. The oems make you tilt the seat back, aftermarket ones have pockets for the seat back. The oem tonneau looks great becasue it is totally flat where the seatback would be.
Old 12-16-2000, 07:45 AM

Rick,

I remember the type of tonneau cover you are talking about. Had one on my 1966 MG Midget. Zipper up the middle (length wise) between the seats. Made it easy cover the interior at the beach etc. The top was a mess to put up, although I didn't have to deal with side curtains becasue the MG had roll up windows.

The MG had clip mount points for the cover and it was an accesory purchased from MG.

Back then we didn't have high back seats and roll bars to contend with.

A tonneau cover would be great for the S2000 but without the mount points on the dash for the cover, it would be a difficult proposition.
Old 12-16-2000, 08:10 AM

Rick: Right on. It would seem that the four posts for the top cover could be used to teather the rear via straps. For the front, perhaps some type of clip or fastening mechanism could be insterted in the defrost outlets next to the inside of the front window. The same material as the top would be more pratical than leather for those of us in warm climes.

For visablity and ease of manufacture, the roll bars and seat tops might not need to be covered. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mingster: thanks too for your response.

dgl1 [QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel:
[B]I love the idea of the zip open cover like the ones on the old MGs, Triumph's, etc.
Old 12-16-2000, 09:13 AM

My dad use to have one (sectioned out for passenger/driver) on his Sunbeam Tigers. Looked great! Can't wait to see what you come up with Rick.
Old 12-16-2000, 10:30 AM

Can anyone get a pic of such a cover so everyone else can understand what we're talking about? (Or perhaps scan a photo from a book on historic cars.)
Old 12-16-2000, 11:39 AM

1y2ks2k: Check out www.mmmiata.com/carcover.html Scroll down to Robbins Miata Tonneau Cover. Basically it protects the inside of the cockpit when the top is down. Problem is that Robbins doesn't seem to make one for the S2k. The Miata tonneau may cover the top boot, but my idea would be that it would cover forward from just where the boot attaches. The side not is use could be stowed behind the seat. Thanks for asking. dgl1 [QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Y2KS2K:
[B]Can anyone get a pic of such a cover so everyone else can understand what we're talking about?

Quick Reply: Tonneau / Hey Mingster