S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tis the season for lousy cold starts (for those in more northern climates)

Old 10-07-2003, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OR, maybe winter isn't coming this year?
I wish...
Old 10-07-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car hasn't had its normal cold-start problems that it normally does either, but we'll wait and see if this holds up.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by S2-Raw
Oh, I'm just glad I live in California.
As Jimmy Buffett puts it in "Fruitcakes":

Paradise, lost and found
Paradise, take a look around
I was out in california where I hear they have it all
They got riots, fires, mud slides
They
Old 10-08-2003, 08:00 AM

I too have noticed that this car is very tempermental (as is usually the case with good performance cars, hehehe) when it comes to temperature changes. I was thinking the ECU isn't able to compensate for the colder air with the proper fuel ratio mix for the first few times the engine is started. However, as you noted, the ECU does learn eventually.

But, I was always taught that a supercharger will actually warm air as it compresses it (this "warming" is independent of the actual temperature of the metal that makes up the SC, although a SC that is running at full operating temperature is going to warm air even more). This is why aftercoolers are used in the first place. Could it be that the supercharger is actually warming the air, passing it into the engine, and therefore the engine doesn't "see" as drastic of a temp change as an NA car? I really don't know...
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Uncle Fester, you have a point. Anything is possible. The cold start, then stall, used to happen within the first 2 seconds of the engine firing up. I'm wondering if a S/C at idle could do this in the first couple of seconds of spinning.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:10 AM

Anyone with an '02 on have this problem? I've never had it.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the car has to be parked outside overnight when it's chilly. It never used to do it when I was leaving from my garage even when the heater (garage) hadn't been turned on yet.
I tried an experiment once when this started to happen. I used the block heater on one of those nights when it was around freezing (yeah, it was only an experiment) and in the morning, it didn't do it. Next morning, no plug in, did it.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 AM

I'm sure mine will start to do it soon. If I remember I think at around -5 is when it will stall the first time.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a lab needs to be setup.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM

Another possibility: Reformulated gasoline. I can't speak for you Canadians, but here in lovely New Jersey, the gas we get from the pump undergoes a transition to a different formulation for better emissions during winter use. I can't get more specific so please don't ask! Only that the pump has a notice on it saying "On or about October x this pump will dispense reformulated gasoline...."Etc. yada yada. I know my last girlfriend's Volvo didn't like that change at all, so it's possible the ECU in our cars has to "learn" to change its settings when burning the changed gas.

Quick Reply: Tis the season for lousy cold starts (for those in more northern climates)