S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tis the season for lousy cold starts (for those in more northern climates)

Old 10-07-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Tis the season for lousy cold starts (for those in more northern climates)

Or is it?
The 2 Falls before, about this time, when the temps get down near freezing, my car has had this thing where a morning cold start (outside) would result in the engine quickly losing rpm and then dying. It would take a second start to keep it running. This would go on for several mornings till it seemed that the ECU "learned" to deal with it. It has been like clockwork. I could gauge when winter was just around the corner. TILL THIS YEAR! We've had many mornings the last few weeks where the thermometer hovered just above freezing to just below freezing. My car did not do this cold start dying thing this year. Has it finally, after 3 years of ownership, "learned" to deal with this temperature drop? I can't say for sure. The only difference this year is the Vortech on the car and I can't imagine the car would know this on a cold start. All sensors, including the MAP is original.
If your car does this, don't fight it with throttle. Just let it happen and it will learn. And maybe, like mine, eventually will stop doing it all together.
OR, maybe winter isn't coming this year?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dave, I have an idea:

" Dave's S2K Almanac"

A variation on the famous American almanac, which purports to predict weather - a wonderul piece of American hokum.

You and I are the same age, so maybe we can combine forces:

My knees are shot (3 sports: football, baseball, tennis) and ache when it will rain.

Or, a variation on our Groundhog Day:

If Dave's car starts and stalls, we will have 6 months of winter.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not had a stalling incident yet this year, either. Lows here have been as low as 32F and it's started properly each time - so far...
Old 10-07-2003, 02:12 PM

Road Rage ---- I can dig it!
Old 10-07-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I'm just glad I live in California.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:51 PM

I could see how the SC may help you in this situation.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
I could see how the SC may help you in this situation.
Please give me your thoughts on it. I would have thought that at or near idle speeds, the parasitic draw of the S/C would have hampered a cold start.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:27 PM

Well, I was thinking about the parasitic draw but then you have to consider the colder air that is being forced into the intake by the SC. Kind of like the effects of a CAI and how it relates to power increase.

Does the advantage of colder air forced induction outweigh the parasitic draw of driving the SC? How does that compare to the stock air box having to pull the air in rather than having it forced in.

I suppose you could go cross eyed thinking about, seems like trying to figure out perpetual motion in a way.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3ngin33r1
Well, I was thinking about the parasitic draw but then you have to consider the colder air that is being forced into the intake by the SC.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:39 PM

Is it contributing? Who knows without doing some sort of airflow measurement from a stock vs SC.

All I can go off of right now is that my BOV is releasing air when the engine is at idle after a cold start so I would assume that the SC is pushing more air than the motor is consuming.

*edit- I typed way to fast and my spelling sucked.

Quick Reply: Tis the season for lousy cold starts (for those in more northern climates)