S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

tires other than stock OEM?

Old 02-20-2001, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe they screwed up my tread compound, cus they stick fine and they are wearing . . .
Old 02-20-2001, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cmnsnse, ok, I'll pipe in as another person who has replaced my rear S02's with RE730's. I must say that I've much the same experience as you.

I've recently went for an extrememly spirited drive in wet weather and even ended up in a school parking lot to try and discover when the rears would break loose. Only then did I discover that they broke loose earlier then the stock S02's. In normal (ie: commute driving) there is no noticeable difference. Maybe I drive like a whimp. However, I go over highway 17 (twisty mountain road) and take the curves just as fast as I did when I had S02's. No scary situations yet.

When I floor it (dry pavement) and chirp the tires in the 1-2 shift, the RE730's chirp the same amount as the S02's. I didn't notice that they were slippery at all.

No I am sure that the RE730's are not ultimately as good as the S02. The question is how many people really need the adhesion of the S02 for daily driving? It' snice to have though.

Last thought, when they made the NSX, folks asked "How can a exotic car be comfortable, reliable, and have an operating climate control?" It seemed too good to be true. Maybe tire technology has come a long way as well.
Old 02-20-2001, 01:39 PM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Scot
You cannot have a 300tread wear rating tire that is also as sticky as a 140-180 wear rating tire...
EXACTLY...

It seems like a better choice (compromise) would be getting a cheaper tire that still has a similar treadwear rating. The Bridgestone RE71s, the Dunlop SP8000s, and the Yokahama A520s all seem to be better alternatives IMHO. They all have treadwear ratings of 200 or less (granted you cannot directly compare the rating since they are across brands -- but they all in the same ballpark) and cost around $100 each (or less). These tires would still wear about as quick as the OEMs but would most likely handle a lot closer to them too -- and you still save some $$ since they are half the price.
Old 02-20-2001, 02:41 PM

How about the Yoko Parada??
Old 02-20-2001, 04:35 PM

I'm having very good results from the Yoko A520 and I'm pushing them very hard. The wear is a little better rated 180 vs 140 but they cost half as much. The dry traction is great and the wet even better. I would not suggest the RE730 unless you are limited to lengthy highway or city driving. The compound is simply too hard for my tastes. They may wear a long time but they will not match my penchant for aggressive cornering. The S2000 occasionaly bites the unwary on S-02s, don't push it on cold, worn, or "too hard" tires.
Old 02-20-2001, 05:09 PM

My rears are done at 10,000 miles. Just ordered new OEM, Bridgestones from Tirerack, at $189 each, shipped to my local Honda dealer for installation. Looking forward to riding on tread again. (just one 7K burn-out in 10,000 miles!) I've never had a car go through tires like this before.

2x6spds
Old 02-20-2001, 08:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anyone tried the Kumho ECSTA 712s? I've read good things about them on the Boxster board, plus my dad likes them on the rear of his Boxster S (although he hasn't pushed the car since putting the new tires on.)
Old 02-20-2001, 08:41 PM

How about Yoko AVS sports? Anyone tried those tires before, but I have aftermarket 17" wheels though, not stock. Whats the performance and wear on those?
Old 02-21-2001, 01:57 AM

Mark,

I'm currently using the Kumho 712s and I must say that after 3-4 autocrosses and a few thousand miles they are starting to "settle in". I'm sure that it has to do with the tread wearing down resulting in less tread "squirm" My initial reaction was they had less grip than the RE-730s I had before.

Everyone here is only talking about grip, but the thing I notice most is sidewall stiffness. This is something I seem to be sensitive to. Maybe it's because I like very quick steering response. IMO nothing is better than the S-02s or the RE-010. Over the last few years I've been through a lot of tires here ar my thoughts on them in reverse chronological order.

On the S2000:
Kumho V700 (race tire, on another level of grip)
Kumho 712 (good street tire, less overall grip than RE-730)
RE-730 (soft sidewalls, poor transient response, only lasted 5 months with autocrossing, steady state cornering ok)
S-02 OE (great handling tire, not too cold here in Hawaii so no problems heating them up, great in the rain)

On my '93 MR-2 Turbo:
Toyo RA-1 (OK tire, not as grippy as I would have imagined a tire with a tread wear of 40 should be, sold the car before I could see how long they lasted)
Toyo Proxes T1-S (total crap, no grip, mushy handling, terrible wear, the only redeeming quality was the tread pattern resisted hydroplaning)
Toyo Proxes T-1 ( great tire for the money, only bad thing was it made me think the T1-S would be better ;( )
Bridgestone RE-71R (autoX compound, very stiff sidewalls short life only used on the rear with RE-010 up front)
Bridgestone RE-71 (only on the rear of the car for 2 hours and we changed to the RE-71Rs, incompatible with the RE-010 on the front)
Bridgestone RE-101 (OE for the MR-2, almost equal to the S-02 in grip, wear charactoristics and price)

I am starting to think about what I'll get next, and noticed that Pirelli has the PZero system of Directional and Asymetrico in our OE sizes. Has anyone tried these??? I've heard that Pirellis "let go" quickly without warning when you reach the limit. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 02-21-2001, 02:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

THIS SEEMS A GOOD THREAD FOR A POLL, can anyone be arsed to set one up?

Quick Reply: tires other than stock OEM?