S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!

Old 03-12-2003, 02:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got economic news for you KenS2K. The only issue affecting consumer behavior re gasoline is what the stuff costs at the pump, and the cost at our pumps is far less than the cost at most pumps in other parts of the world.

Taxes are imposed on gasoline largely to cover the high costs to our society of automobiles -- pollution, the need for highways and highway maintenance, the ineffeciency of the auto as a mode of mass transporation, etc, etc. Our taxes on gas should be higher, much higher, IMHO. If they were, we would get a change in consumer behavior: the far more efficient use of limited oil resources that only a fool would argue is not good for the long-range future of our society.

Our profilgate consumption of oil in the US, in the face of all the overwhelming evidence that it's stupid, is just another symptom of the unlimited greed that abounds in our culture today. We want to blame the oil companies, but we should be pointing the finger at ourselves.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a Civic Hybrid........now for personal plates....taking ideas....how about..........FK-OPEC
Old 03-12-2003, 04:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 97 GTS
[B]People seem so confused on this subject. It's not the MPG of a vehicle that matters, it's how much gas you consume. The real wasteful polluters are the people who commute long distances to work. Example: I live 10 miles from work and my car gets about 10 mpg. A co-worker who thinks I waste gas drives 40 mile to work in his BMW 525 getting about 28 mpg. He is by far the greater polluter and gas guzzler. These are the people that should be forced to by those awful hybrids!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 07:12 AM

Some one has no clue! I work for a petroleum company. Exxon and Mobil are the two best gas's that you can put in your car. They are 10x cleaner than any other brand. And still Exxon and Mobil own 75% of are oil so no matter what you do they will still make a buck.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:38 PM

I have some trouble with the last post from the person who says he works for an oil company.

1. Chevron gas is considered the very best by many of us and is what the car manufacturers use in the EPA tests. It is not available everywhere in the US, but neither is Exxon's fuel.

2. Nobody--including OPEC--owns 75% of the oil using any definition you want: proven reserves, pumping capacity, refinery capacity, or retail sales. Look in any issue of the Oil and Gas Journal if you don't believe me.

For the record, I do not work for an oil company.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by S2000RAT
Exxon and Mobil are the two best gas's that you can put in your car. They are 10x cleaner than any other brand
That's highly doubtful. Any of the major gasoline brands will be "clean," it's the no-name places you have to worry about. Each different company has its own formulation of additives that go into the gas, that's about the only difference between them, and no, I don't work for a petroleum company, I just watch the Discovery Channel
Old 03-12-2003, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]I've got economic news for you KenS2K.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by djohnston
The point Rick was quite eloquently making, is...
" ...and we bitch, bitch, bitch."

Oh how eloquent.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 97 GTS
[B]People seem so confused on this subject. It's not the MPG of a vehicle that matters, it's how much gas you consume. The real wasteful polluters are the people who commute long distances to work. Example: I live 10 miles from work and my car gets about 10 mpg. A co-worker who thinks I waste gas drives 40 mile to work in his BMW 525 getting about 28 mpg. He is by far the greater polluter and gas guzzler. These are the people that should be forced to by those awful hybrids!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 05:09 PM

If anyone knows about high gas prices, it would be me. CNN did a report on high gas prices, and the city with the highest prices is El Cajon, CA, just happens to be where I live. There are gas stations selling 91 octane for $4.28 a gallon. I am looking at a second car that can run on 87 just to save money...

Quick Reply: Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!