S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!

Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpEeDxXxRaCeR
[B]My dad is a petroleum engineer, and he's told me that shit doesn't work.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have among the lowest gas prices in the world, and we bitch, bitch, bitch. It cost me nearly $50 to fill up a Toyota in England last week. A tank full there for our S2000 would run around $40.

Adjusted for inflation, gas prices in the US aren't much higher than they were 30 years ago. If we reduce demand for gas, guess what, the price will drop. Instead, demand has been rising dramatically as Americans continue to buy more and more gas guzzlers.

Obviously, we learned nothing from the energy crisis of the 70s, and until we change our wasteful habits, we're just screwing ourselves.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
[B]My own personal favorite image regarding high gasoline prices is
Old 03-11-2003, 06:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
[B]We have among the lowest gas prices in the world, and we bitch, bitch, bitch.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by KenS2K
I don't understand why people always try to compare USA, Europe and Japan gas prices. Apples and oranges. How much of their cost per gallon/liter is government taxes? Just because their taxes are so high dosen't make me feel guilty.

"We have among the lowest gas prices in the world..." And the S2000 will only be produced for one year. Another myth.
The point Rick was quite eloquently making, is that Americans don't have to put much of their hard-earned money into buying gas, compared to drivers in other countries. The amount of taxes is irrelevant, we in the USA are damned lucky to have gas prices as low as we do, regardless of why it costs more in Europe or less in the USA. The proliferation of huge, fuel-inefficient SUVs and trucks in recent years in the USA is due largely to the fact that gasoline is cheap, which makes filling a 40 gallon tank easier to do at an American fuel pump. The reason there are fewer SUVs and more small cars in Europe is because they have to pay a high price for fuel, so it makes more sense to drive smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. We waste gas here because we drive wasteful, polluting vehicles. Americans need a wake-up call in the form of higher fuel prices to get our fat SUV asses in line.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 PM

hey i have an idea, lets bomb those iraqi bastards so we can get cheaper gas!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:10 PM

People seem so confused on this subject. It's not the MPG of a vehicle that matters, it's how much gas you consume. The real wasteful polluters are the people who commute long distances to work. Example: I live 10 miles from work and my car gets about 10 mpg. A co-worker who thinks I waste gas drives 40 mile to work in his BMW 525 getting about 28 mpg. He is by far the greater polluter and gas guzzler. These are the people that should be forced to by those awful hybrids!!! Let us gas sipping short commuters drive whatever we want!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:26 PM

First, I'm walking down to the beach to yell at the tide to stop. When I have accomplished that feat, I will help you take on the petroleum industry.

Suggestion: Know how to pick your battles. Write some letters to Washington about SUV fuel economy standards. Argue for allowing hybrid cars in carpool lanes with only the driver in the car. Support public transportation--at the very least it will make the traffic lighter for your S2000. Put some compact fluorescent lights in and around your house--they pay for themselves in two to ten months. Ask yourself how many lives deposing that thug in Iraq is worth (including the terrorism here at home) and start worrying about the weirdo Stalinist in North Korea, a country that has one export: weapons. Finally, give your neighbors some of those two-dozen rolls of duct tape you recently bought.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HIGH GAS PRICES = LESS SUVs!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:55 PM

My weekly installment of chain mail suggested boycotting companies that do business with the middle east. Companies like Hess & BP do not import from Middle Eastern countries...try one of those!

Quick Reply: Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!