S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!

Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!

Here is an e-mail I received and it looks like they are going to try to get as many people to try this. If we get enough people to do this it may actually work.

------This is the e-mail I got----------

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.07 for regular unleaded in my town. (California) Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocket book that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a Price war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...we all have to make an effort on this for it to work. It doesn't cost us as consumers anything but it will make an impact on the oil companies.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:09 PM

can u say chain mail?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:17 PM

I don't buy Exxon or Mobil in the first place. I guess that means I'm GTG!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:22 PM

I think there's articles on why following this particular advice would hurt us more than help us.

Moral of the story, don't listen to anyone on the internet.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:24 PM

I think it's chain mail also but with the gas prices so high I'm willing to try this. It doesn't cost anything for us to do this.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:17 AM

Please check out this link - and just a word of advice: don't believe any spam emails

Urban Legend
Old 03-11-2003, 03:51 AM

My dad is a petroleum engineer, and he's told me that shit doesn't work. If you want to have an impact, get rid of any gas guzzlers such as your trucks and suv. Carpool if you can, drive more conservative, buy cars that are hybrids. You may not see the price fall fast, but you'll see a lot more money in your pocket.

It's funny how most the people who complain and gripe about prices are the ones that own SUV's and Truck. I pay $1.80+ for gas for my car, but you konw what I haven't complained yet and won't even if it hits 2.00.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpEeDxXxRaCeR
[B]My dad is a petroleum engineer, and he's told me that shit doesn't work.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:44 AM

My dad is a petroleum engineer, and he's told me that shit doesn't work. If you want to have an impact, get rid of any gas guzzlers such as your trucks and suv. Carpool if you can, drive more conservative, buy cars that are hybrids. You may not see the price fall fast, but you'll see a lot more money in your pocket.

It's funny how most the people who complain and gripe about prices are the ones that own SUV's and Truck. I pay $1.80+ for gas for my car, but you konw what I haven't complained yet and won't even if it hits 2.00.

I agree. Get rid of guzzlers and tax the shit out of them and gas. Reduce our reliance on the stuff. Make a real effort to go after other sources/technologies.

Instead of subsidizing gas and supporting oil companies, I want some real public schools, health care, and a few other things....

Lefty
Old 03-11-2003, 06:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djohnston
[B]Amen brother, you speak the gospel truth.

Quick Reply: Tired of High Gas Prices? Let's fight back!