S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tint?

Old 11-23-2004, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint?

If I was to tint the rear window on the s2k that im picking up (03") and it needed to be removed for any reason (just speculation), Would it ruin the defroster (peel it off with the tint), Ive seen it happen on some other cars. Just wondering if it is worth the cause to tint if the defroster comes off with it.

Bottom line. Will it take the defroster with it if removed?
Old 11-24-2004, 06:22 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Could very well damage the defroster, so don't take the tint off, or don't get it tinted.

I plan on tinting my windows this winter with plantinum tint. It doesn't darken the windows and adds some privacy.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:40 AM

I have removed poorly added tint from a window with a defroster on it. It can be done, it is a time consuming and difficult task to do right. Basically it takes a lot of elbow grease because you can't use a razor blade like you could do with any other window. You see, it's not the tint that is hard to get off, it's the adhesive. The tint should pull right off, leaving a hazy residue behind it. A good tint shop should be able to sell you or point you in the direction of a good cleaner that will take off that adhesive without damaging the defroster. So, if you want tint, get it, removal is possible without damaging the defroster.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I had my Integra tinted, they nicked the defroster line during install. They "fixed" it with a patch kit, but that didn't last long. I had an un-defrosted line right in the middle if the window after that. Very upsetting.

One of the many reasons that I don't like other people working on my car. It is the risk that you take.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:49 AM

Absolutely, take the car to a trusted window tint shop, that's the most important thing. Tinting can look great, bad tinting can look terrible.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any good or reputable tint shop can tint your window AROUND your defroster. Basically in strips. I've had it done and their is no risk of damaging the defroster in the event you want to remove it.

Don't go to some busta who's going to bubble it or cut the defrost lines while trying to line it up.....
Old 11-24-2004, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Nov 24 2004, 11:24 AM
Any good or reputable tint shop can tint your window AROUND your defroster. Basically in strips. I've had it done and their is no risk of damaging the defroster in the event you want to remove it.

Don't go to some busta who's going to bubble it or cut the defrost lines while trying to line it up.....
This seems excessively unnecessary. Tint will pull right off defroster lines without damage, it's the cleanup that's dangerous, and in that case you need a good cleaner since you can't use a razorblade. Cutting strips just asks for shrinkage issues, little spaces where the cut wasn't perfect going untinted, and other nasties. One sheet will go over the entire thing and almost eliminate any visible defects that you would almost assuredly get with strips.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it done in Hawaii...... not that the installers are any better than any where else cause I'm sure their not. I didn't even inquire about the defroster on the rear hatch they just did it as part of the normal install.

Of course I never removed the tint so I guess THAT would be a different story.

I agree that for removal, a single piece would be MUCH easier to remove.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 PM

And install. I just don't see a point in slicing the sheet up. I really wouldn't make it any safer at any point. Still can't use a razor to remove the adhesive from between the lines because you're risking cutting through. Precision like that would be a little too difficult to expect upon removal.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:35 PM

Applying tint in strips b/w the deforst lines would be so time consuming and tedious it would drive a normal person insane. What i would recommend is apply the tint and have it removed every other year. Reason being i find that the longer u leave tint on a window, the harder it is to remove. And removing the tint for jus the rear window and reapplying shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, especially if u do it yourself. When i had my SC400 retinted, the tint had been on there forever and was a pain to remove. I trusted a shop to do it and they screwed up a section of the deforst and it sucked but i jus had to live w/ it.

Quick Reply: Tint?