S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Time-based oil change?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time-based oil change?

Long story short, I was diagnosed with epilepsy last year and lost my license, only got about 400 miles out of my '07 last year before I couldn't drive.

I'm on pace to get back on the road by May and am prepping for the season, but I'm not sure how I should handle changing the oil since it's technically "new" oil/filter (full synthetic and OEM filters) and it hasn't been driven much at all. I know the indicator is typically "xxx many miles, or xxx many months" but didn't know if anyone had more knowledge on the subject.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

5 quarts of Mobil 1 is around $25.

An engine rebuild, if there is some issue with the oil in the car, is a little more than $25.

Change it, if it hasn't been driven much you can keep the filter.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that. Change the oil and don't touch the filter.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:35 AM

10-4. Better safe than sorry, no doubt. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

yep...no matter the low mileage, always do AT LEAST once a year.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree with the folks above. This topic has been brought up a lot since this car is a garage queen for a lot of folks. A good consensus was that the higher grade full synthetic oils (AMSOIL, castrol syntec, penzoil platinum, etc, at least those are my favs but there are more) you don't need to change it "every year." Especially with the oil qualities from today's 2015 developments. You've only gone 700 miles on the oil in a year. That oil still freshy fresh. We're not talking about oil that has 700 miles and is 5 years old. A year? That's relatively fresh imo.

Personally, I change mine once a year regardless as well, but that's because I'm an anal nutbag and I do a bunch of annual maintenance at the same time so it doesn't set me back but a few minutes. I really have no reason to, though.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Sorry to hear of your condition!

If I put Mobile 1 in my car it would disappear before it hit a year due to its high shitty breakdown rate. Id leave that stuff on the shelf personally. Castrol or Valvolene will serve you much better for just a little more money, typically.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by veloxnex
I'm on pace to get back on the road by May and am prepping for the season, but I'm not sure how I should handle changing the oil since it's technically "new" oil/filter (full synthetic and OEM filters) and it hasn't been driven much at all. I know the indicator is typically "xxx many miles, or xxx many months" but didn't know if anyone had more knowledge on the subject.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks in advance!

IMHO, you'll be ok with the oil and filter that are in the car. New oil in the oil pan --- in an unused engine --- is just like oil in plastic bottles on a shelf --- in the garage. You may want to pour a little (maybe a pint) into the oil filler hole, to coat the upper end, during first crank-up. Prolly best to disable the ignition and crank the engine a few times to pump oil around, before actually starting the car.

Good luck!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,234 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Velo --

I'm sure the oil is fine. But if you feel better about it just change it and drive on. $25 or $30 bucks is worth the psychological piece of mind even though we both know you don't need to change it. My S2000 goes down on the ground in a month or so (probably after I pay my taxes on 15 April!) it you want to wait and use my little lift (like the avatar shows now). You'll just need oil and a new crush washer.

When did you last change the transmission and differential oils? Just need the oil and washers tor those too. Once she's on the lift it all changes easily.

I'm in 44147.

-- Chuck
Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM

I think you're fine....I once let my S sat in my garage for almost 1.5 year after an oil change. Then drove it for 5k miles before another oil change. I sent it to Blackstone and they said my oil was still good and could have gone further if I wanted.

Quick Reply: Time-based oil change?