S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ticketed for 'wreckless driving'

Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I got a ticket in new york and the points never showed up in Jersey. Take it to court. The cop might not show.....But usually the judge will knock it down one step....maybe to 15 mph over or something. If you show up they usually reduce the points a little.
You won't get off scott free but they usually reduce it!
Old 08-01-2002, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys have to understand something. While most of us are reasonably skilled drivers, 9/10 people on the road have no idea what they're doing. If your 16 year old sister in her Neon is doing 80 in a 55, that is certainly reckless.

If I was President, I would make obtaining a driver's license extremely difficult and raise the legal age (in PA) to 18. Basically, people should have to pass driving simulators (like GT3) in order to receive a license. Also, DUI offenses should result in lost driving privileges for life.

Highways should also feature an "Autobahn" lane where driver's with capable vehicles can drive with no speed limitations.

The above implementations would reduce the amount of morons on the road, reduce our insurance costs, and force local municipalities to improve their public transportation systems.

I just bought a breathalyzer at CVS for $80. For those of us who drink socially, this little gadget is invaluable.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:20 AM

In many cases the points carrying over to another state will depend on whether the two states have something similar to reciprocity for this. Some states will withhold taxes for another state so you don't have to file two separate tax returns. If there is that kind of arrangement then they may also share other information as well.

This was a few years ago, but my dad got an OWI in IL which he had to go to court for, etc. yet never showed up on either his insurance or his record in WI. Generally insurance companies are lazy (from suckling from the government teat) and won't check all over the place for your record (another benefit of NOT having a national registration number act as drivers license) and will rely on you to report things like this to them. That is why ANY communication with your insurance company regarding this should be avoided at all costs. From what I remember when you renew (sometimes insurance but for sure Drivers license) there are generally a couple of boxes that need to be filled out which ask if you've been convicted in another state of anything. I belive that this box is filled out correctly and honestly as often as the "Do you owe any use tax on out of state purchases" on your state income tax forms!! Trouble is to find out for sure you'll either have to pretend to be someone else applying for insurance at your company or find someone in the state that a similar thing has happened to.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2002, 06:37 AM

You got a ticket for "wreckless" driving? You mean they gave you a ticket for not causing a wreck?
Old 08-01-2002, 07:56 AM

I ran the last time I was caught with my pants down. I got off the freeway and started turing corners. I was scared shitless, but I got away
Old 08-01-2002, 11:57 AM

i got a reckless driving ticket in VA for doing 78/55...anyone have anything to say about this defense?
Or does anyone know the law in VA regarding reckless?
Well, reckless driving in VA is anything 20 mph and over the posted speed limit, and it is 6 points on your driving record. I believe it is a mandatory court appearance too....
Old 08-01-2002, 12:01 PM

Actually most states (but not all) have reciprocity and do share info on traffic offenses. There are different situations, however. I live in TN and got a ticket once in GA from highway patrol. It was 89 in a 70 but he reduced it to 84. Said since it was not 15 over I could just mail in the fine and they wouldn't report back to TN (and thus to my insurance) but that if I DIDN'T pay then they would report it. I paid!

Also, the advice to not talk to your insurance company is not correct. If you deal direct, i. e. Geico or similar, that's good advice. But if you have an insurance AGENT it's not only OK to talk to them but highly advisable. They won't tell the insurance COMPANY.
Old 08-01-2002, 07:48 PM

I did some searching and there is something called a "Drivers License Compact". You can search for it on Google.

Apparently GA is not a member of the compact, but has their own policy- which is why they won't report minor violations.

Kentucky is a member of the compact, as is Indiana. And while Kentucky does not accept reports from other states, they do report violations to other states. Great...I was licensed in the wrong state...

-B
Old 08-02-2002, 07:39 AM

Hey B, just be glad you weren't in Glendale, AZ. 25 over is a mandatory night in jail. This is a city that has gone bonkers. They have signs posted everywhere stating "Its our town, SLOW DOWN". At least you're still free :-)

UL
Old 08-02-2002, 07:39 AM

This is interesting! Georgia, Mass, Tenn, Michigan & Wisconsin are the only states that don't belong to the Drivers License Compact (which transfers points from out-of-state tickets). But they do all belong to the Non-Resident Violator Compact (which suspends your license if you fail to pay out-of-state tickets).

Does this mean that if you lived in, say, Massachusetts, the points for an out-of-state ticket would not transfer to your driver's license?

Has anyone who lives in Georgia, Mass, Tenn, Michigan & Wisconsin ever received points for an out-of-state ticket?