S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ticket.......unauthorized exibition of speed.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anybody still read this post???
if so i was just wondering,
i too got ticket for exhibition of speed
i was reading how you guys told the judge it was an accident cuz u werent familiar with the car...
did u say that with a lawyer by urside...
i dont think i hvae the money to afford a lawyer, so i was wondering if i can just go to court myself and say that...
also anyone kno the penalty for exhibition of speed...or approx how much?
thanx
Old 03-18-2002, 10:36 AM

Ok, I've got one for you. In high school, a friend and I were on my way out of my neighborhood in San Antonio to pick up a pie and meet our parents for dinner at his house. We pull out of the sub and he accellerates (if you could call it that) his '79 diesel mercedes automatic toward the speed limit. In the process we pass a cop who is out of his car and talking to some guy.

Next thing we know, the cop is pulling us over for exhibition of accerlation...in a '79 diesel mercedes!! (0-60 in about 10...minutes). Anyway, the funny part was that my friend ended up getting 4 tickets in that one sitting. He had expired everything.

He went to court and got all of the tickets dismissed except for the exhibition one.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:11 PM

I agree with Takashi KazuMori 10000000%. If everyone that got a ticket went to court to fight it the traffic court system would crumble very quickly. It costs them money if you fight it whether you win or lose. Might as well fight and have a chance at winning. If you lose you pay as you would if you didn't fight it. Why do you think the cops don't always show for court? If you fight and win they pay more than if the cop didn't show up at all. My cop buddy told me that he only goes to his court days if he has a case that he HAS to appear for. Always waste as much of the courts time as possible too. Be a PITA! Bring as much eveidence as you can. Pictures of the scene, witness letters, vehicle stats, etc. They have to go through all that crap. Try to remember little details that could get you out of the ticket. Was it raining, foggy, hot, cold, sunny, overcast, cracked tailight, bald tires, etc. If it was raining, how long? Was it hot out? If it is hot and starts to rain the roads can be slick as shit for 15-30 minutes until the warm oil washes away. Theres and excuse for everything.

Heres an example:
If you get a ticket for spinning tires. Make sure you have bald tires. A few nice burnouts will work. Take pictures. Get documentation from a tire store stating that they are of illegal depth. Get new tires at the tire store. Show the fact that worn tires can cause spinning tires. Your aren't lying. You dont have to tell them that you did a ten minute burnout to get the tires worn down or that they weren't worn down at the time of the pullover. Ask the cop if he checked the tread depth on your tires. Obviously he didn't and probably wouldn't know how although there is a legal depth that you must meet. Traction is not sufficient with overly worn tires. He didn't do his job properly and overlooked the laws on tire wear indicators not taking into consideration the effects that worn tires could have and you win. You walk with a fix-it ticket if you didn't already get new tires. If the judge asks you if your tires were illegally worn at the time of the ticketing then you have a moral decision to make. If you did all of this within a day or two he wouldnt ask anyway. Not that this example is honest anyway. As a matter of fact it is quite possible that if you are properly prepared that the judge will quickly look at your facts and not ask a single question from you OR the officer. Dismissed! If you go prepared he knows you arent going to lay down so why should he miss his afternoon tee time when he could rake in the cash from 6 people who got nailed on radar for speeding in the same amount of time?

Of course when he pulls you over you have to think fast but don't let him know your intentions. Keep quiet and take care of it in court. Never admit guilt OR defend yourself when he pulls you over. Dont make him think you might fight it or defend yourself or he may pay more attention to you. You want him to think you are going home to write a check and stick it in the mail. Try to remember anything and everything. After he tickets you sit there and write everything you can remember down. Make him wait a minute. If it was cold out then the temperature factor of S02s could work for you. If you get nailed for accelerating too quickly figure out a way to get out of it. The car revs high and is loud and he must have been mistaken. He has no way of checking your rate of acceleration. Shit, that Toyota Celica "Looks Fast" commercial could probably win you a case if you worked it right. If a dumptruck full of rocks accelerates as fast as it can and you acclerate twice as fast does that mean you were accelerating too fast? If he didn't get you on radar, you didn't admit to racing, the other guy didnt admit to racing, and he doesn't have you on video then he doesnt have jack and you can win easily. Its you and your collected facts against his word. Make a clear flowchart to go with your eveidence of why your are innocent so that the judge can dismiss the case without having to think too much. Its the officers job to notice everything but they never do. Go to traffic court for fun sometime and watch how unprepared the officers are. Good luck.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Freakaccident
[B]Go to traffic court for fun sometime and watch how unprepared the officers are.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:45 PM

How about this one...

Me: Why was I pulled over?
Officer: You were going 83 in a 65.
Me: I was going with traffic.
Officer: Well, you were going 83 in a 65.
Me: But I was going as fast as the other cars. I was following traffic.
Officer: You were going 83 in a 65.

Okay, so I was going 83 in a 65 but so was the just bought Grand Prix that was in the fast lane and the Land Rover that was behind me. No, I don't have their license plate # or anything else. We all slowed down to about 62 mph when we saw the cop but he came after me over all the other cars. I don't have witnessess or anything. Wait a minute--did I just admit to him I was going 83 in a 65? Oh goodness...why oh why do I buy a car that goes fast...wait a minute--I speed in any car/suv I drive.

The other officer was circling my car (I was afraid he'd get me for no flp but he didn't.)

MAY
Old 03-18-2002, 07:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fayde
[B]

It has been my experience (bout 20 citations in my old mustang, only 2 went on my record, no front plate and 55 ina 40), that cops generally dont show, and you get off.

BUT, if the cop shows, when the case starts, it like watching a play...
Old 03-18-2002, 08:30 PM

TIme and half is correct. They make double time for directing traffic though. Which would you rather do? They don't show as much as you might believe. Many times their dept is short handed and they have to work their shift instead even though their day is supposed to be freed up for them.

The best thing is to spend the $200 and get a lawyer who is an expert at this. Give your facts to him and he wil put it together and present it for you. Although many times a lawyer gets the charges reduced and not dropped where you could have gotten them dropped yourself. At least fight for a no points charge.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Utah S2K

WRONG! Cops get a minimuim of time and a half and usuallly double time for court appearances.....hope you not serious about a no show? LOL

Utah
I said it has been my experience that the cop usually didn't show, and that is exactly what I meant. I then went on to explain what I did see happen when the cop did show.

I don't see why you felt the need to laugh... whatever
Old 03-19-2002, 11:34 AM

Could someone explain why a police officer would give a ticket for excelarating too fast???

In my conversations with friendly police officers, mostly friends from college who went with a shield and gun instead of PDA and cell phone, they all seem to agree that they would only give this type of ticket for breaking traction, which is more reckless than excessive display. So what gives, I would be pissed as hell if I were to get a ticket for hitting Vtec in first and leveling off at the speed limit. I don't see this as dangerous in most situations, reckless would be different, but since it is subjective to the officer seems easy too beat that type of ticket...

Just my .02
Old 03-19-2002, 12:08 PM

Along the same lines, I wonder if I can get a ticket for taking a turn too fast in my S2000. I mean, when I drive my wife's Odyssey, I keep within the limits of the van when turning and accelerating. When I drive my S2000, I also keep within its limits - which happens to be a hell of a lot higher than the van. My point is that I am in control and remain within the limits of each vehicle when taking a turn, so I wonder if I can be ticketed if I don't drift the turn but take it fast...of course staying in my lane and not being a nuisance to other drivers also.

Your thoughts?