S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Threw a rod

Old 01-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s2knOOb02,Jan 4 2008, 12:13 AM
THIS IS BETTER THAN SPRINGER LOL
What is a "SPRINGER?"
Old 01-03-2008, 08:24 PM

http://www.jerryspringertv.com/
Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Jan 4 2008, 12:17 AM
This guy seems to think you can smoothly go to 8k rpms without VTEC, yet he showed no proof that VTEC was not engaging.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...post&p=12084917
I just took a quick look at the thread, but it's inconclusive to be sure.

Certainly, if we disable VTEC, the car isn't going to have any issues with valve float or anything else that would limit peak revs, other than the breathing capacity with the more conservative valve timing. Everything will work mechanically, but what about the fuel and timing maps? I suspect the engine will pull to 8-9k on the base cams, based on experience with Fiat engines. Both the Fiat 850 engine and their 128 (X-1/9) engines make peak power below 6k, but rev easily to 9k, on the stock cams. Power falls off rapidly above the peak, but the engines still pull smoothly all the way to 9k. That is a fact that I've verified many times, so if the S2000 is somehow different, someone needs to supply some facts to support the contention. I know we're breaching yet another new topic here, but it's something I'd like to know too. Does anyone have anything other than speculation that indicates that the base cam profiles won't pull smoothly to 9K? I'm not saying it is or is not possible, but based on my own experience, it certainly seems reasonable.

Anyone have any real evidance to the contrary?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by RACER,Jan 4 2008, 12:24 AM
Hahahaha. JERRY SPRINGER.
Never even occurred to me. I bet I've watched him for at least 15 seconds in the 60 years I've been on this planet, and that was too much for me.

I thought you were talking about some kind of friggin' car part.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM

If this car revs to 9k on the primary cam lobes, then I stand corrected. There was no need for the personal attack in the other thread. One thing is for sure, there won't be nearly as much power when approaching redline.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM

For the love of...sumthin...

Somebody with a data logger get out there and do a few runs with different variables. Like RED said, log the TPS, MAP, VTEC off/on, RPM, and road speed. Post the results and we can get this over with once and for all

We've had some interesting debates in the past about VTEC engagement requirements and never got the final conclusive evidence.

RED, do you have a datalogger?
Old 01-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Certainly power will fall off sharply, and for all I know, it might fall off quickly enough to make 9k in first impossible without the more aggressive profiles. All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem entirely unreasonable.
I've been told that resorting to personal attacks is a sign of a either a weak mind, or a weak argument.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=MikeyCB,Jan 4 2008, 12:48 AM]For the love of...sumthin...

Somebody with a data logger get out there and do a few runs with different variables.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Jan 3 2008, 10:58 PM
Yea, I do, but it's not in the car right now. I think I have two digital and four analog channels available, but I'm not driving the car right now, and it's hard to get motivated. Especially since my results, with FI, might not reflect what we'd see with a stock engine. I *will* log the data when the logger goes back in the car, but don't ever expect me to get anything done in short order. That's not the way things work around here.

Surely some of the regulars in R&C have already logged the information we're looking for here.
Anyone?
Maybe I'll get the urge this weekend to wire up a VTEC LED and throw my camera on the Modifry mount to record it along with the cluster. Obviously won't capture sensor data beyond that (ie. load info) but it'll be a start if nobody has the logged data.

Man, now you're just bein laaaazy Red I went out for an hour-long drive tonight with the top down. Temperature rose WELL above freezing from being well below it in the past few days. Winter Chinook winds, I love you. I got my motivation back
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The moral of this story is, get a turbo for your car. You can have stock power of 200rwhp at only 4000 rpms if you want.

I use VTEC maybe twice a week...

Quick Reply: Threw a rod