S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

For Those Who Barely VTEC

Old 10-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyr,Oct 26 2007, 10:10 PM
Wow, I am shocked at how you guys drive these cars.

I drive mine to work daily, usually no traffic going and lots of stop/go in the evening, car still sees some VTEC both directions.

I shift around 5,550-6,000 and always keep it at 3,500-4,000 when cruising, but I guess that comes from driving high revving Italian toys for 30+ years now. I fully expect the S to last me a few decades, if a FIAT can last me 25 years, a S can certainly outlast that.
Thats what i'm talking about! A guy that knows his cars
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

[QUOTE=ZX11,Oct 26 2007, 02:43 PM] I don't disagree on the most efficient operating rpm or range is, I only disagree on if the motor is bothered or harmed by not running it in that range.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 AM

VTEC FTW!!!! I used to hit VTEC 1-2 times everytime I drove the car, if there was no traffic. Not so much after I got my gears though, the 4.56 is killin me! I drive like a granny now
Old 10-27-2007, 01:42 AM

Someone mentioned a warm-up and cool-down period earlier in this thread. What's a good amount of time for this and would you suggest staying in the 4-5k range in an AP2 for the duration? Or is there some "Okay, the condom's on. Let's go." feedback for when a S2k is ready to go?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nefilim,Oct 27 2007, 01:42 AM
Someone mentioned a warm-up and cool-down period earlier in this thread. What's a good amount of time for this and would you suggest staying in the 4-5k range in an AP2 for the duration? Or is there some "Okay, the condom's on. Let's go." feedback for when a S2k is ready to go?
I typically let mine warm up for 15 minutes usually in the 4-5k rpm range if I know im gonna vtec on my drive. When I leave and pull out ill shift at 4k and then just leave it a 4k-5k rpm at what every speed im at and dont shift to a lower gear. i think it's probably good to leave it at operating temp accroding to your temp gauge for about 10 minutes or so before you get into it real good. Theres no definitive answer, I don't know if the manual says anythng about it or not it's just what I do, and the cool down part dont vtec the car right by your house and then immediatly turn it of and put it in the garage. Drive for about 10 more minutes at the 4k range. And for those who are fenicky about using vtec... this car was made for you to have some fun it's not a tincker toy just keep up with the mantanince and let it warm up properly and there should be no reservations about using vtec.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 AM

Even in my daily commute here in Sacramento rush hour:

On ramp = VTEC

Particularly thrilling is the metering stoplight at the top of some Sac on ramps. The ones that only let 1 car go per green light. Nothing like having a car that can catch up in the blink of an eye to the the car that went on the previous green.
Silly, maybe? Fun, u betcha!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 AM

Mjolnir,
I have wondered that myself. My AP1 is my daily driver here in NJ. 7/24/365. I have 49K and still running 100% fine. I have been trying to keep the MPG from going and I manage around 26-27 mpg.
Not sure why everyone says might as well drive a Corolla/bycicle/Prius/shopping cart or some other such nonsense.
I bought the car for the looks, engineering, open top and handling. I use vtec when needed otherwise just am glad that its there.
I have tried but haven't come close to finding a car other than a Lamborgini that I would enjoy more to drive.
Keep the faith. You don't have to prove you have testosterone leaking out your ears when you get behind the wheel.
Just enjoy the ride, they don't get this good this often.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM

I usually always at somepoint on the way home I have a nice long twisty road commute , In the mornings I shift around 4-5 but going home when it's warm I take it further and I've always got at least 26+mpg
Old 10-27-2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JDMPONY00,Oct 27 2007, 07:30 AM
I typically let mine warm up for 15 minutes usually in the 4-5k rpm range if I know im gonna vtec on my drive. When I leave and pull out ill shift at 4k and then just leave it a 4k-5k rpm at what every speed im at and dont shift to a lower gear. i think it's probably good to leave it at operating temp accroding to your temp gauge for about 10 minutes or so before you get into it real good. Theres no definitive answer, I don't know if the manual says anythng about it or not it's just what I do, and the cool down part dont vtec the car right by your house and then immediatly turn it of and put it in the garage. Drive for about 10 more minutes at the 4k range. And for those who are fenicky about using vtec... this car was made for you to have some fun it's not a tincker toy just keep up with the mantanince and let it warm up properly and there should be no reservations about using vtec.
That's kind of discouraging.

My usual drive is about 15 minutes... by then I've reached my destination. I live in Mobile and we have a LOT of back roads and wide open highways with barely any cops thanks to some of the worst infrastructure ever, but it'll make me cry knowing that I'm harming my car by running it hard the short spurts I'm actually in it.

Quick Reply: For Those Who Barely VTEC