S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

For those with Synthetic oil!

Old 01-28-2003, 07:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I use one quart of Mobil 1 added to dino juice. I have heard that it mixes well and gives much of the improvements w/o all the higher cost. My gas milege is up slighly and i thought that the motor seems to run smoother w/o that low rmp vibe.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm
Old 01-28-2003, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Mobil 1 SuperSyn 10W30 with a BOSCH oil filter. I saw some pictures of the inside of a Mobil 1 filter and a BOSCH filter. They looked identical except for the fact that the Mobil 1 had a "coating" on the filter media which made it look darker. The BOSCH unit costs about half the price of a Mobil 1.

After seeing the inside of a "Made in Canada" Honda OEM filter, I will never put one on any of my vehicles again. They use cardboard for the end caps on the filter media, and appear to have construction nearly identical to FRAM oil filters. The "Made in USA" Honda OEMs aren't as bad, at least they have metal end caps on the filter media. (and what appears to be an improved design on the drainback valve.)
Old 01-28-2003, 11:09 PM

William, you're a dork. Don't click the link, folks.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by bash
William, you're a dork. Don't click the link, folks.
BAN HIS ASS!
Hey Billy, do you think you're the first little geek to do this? Go back to your little dark room with your flashlight and pull your goalie!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:28 AM

The "Honda" filter that you buy at the dealership is much different than the orig. one that came on the car! The orig. filter is not sold in the US and is a great filter with all the right stuff inside. The one's you are buying at the dealer are most likely rebadged Fram's which came in as unacceptable in many tests. They even have a cheap, flimsy plastic check valve! I bought the Jap. HAMP filters from Mike at IPS Racing (on sale now) which are as good or better than the real Jap filter that came on the car. The Mobile One is good too. The Purolator also came in much better than the Fram, and so did the $2 STP!!!! I think if you change your oil alot it might not matter, I am just afraid of the plastic check valve comming apart so I will spend the xtra couple bucks on the others. Come guys, I can't believe some of ypu are quibbling about a few bucks here or there when it comes to oil and changes, it reminds me of the people I see at the gas station that is 2 cents less a gallon, waiting in line and putting in 10 gallons, wow, I waited in line to save 40 cents!!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:46 AM

20 cent actually..
Old 01-29-2003, 06:25 AM

I have had mobil 1 synthetic in my car since 2000 miles with honda filters. No problems yet and i got 12,000 miles.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:43 AM

Advantages of M1-105 filter??? Is it that it just holds more oil? What's the average price for these? How about risks of going to synthetic after first oil change. I know this has been going on a few posts but there seems to be no clear cut answer.

Any thoughts
Old 01-29-2003, 07:37 AM

The Mobile One has a metal check valve. It also has some sort of coating on the paper, otherwise it is a clone of another brand of filter that costs only a few bucks. (i forgot which brand). It was highly recommended in the article.There was some indepth threads many months ago the can be revisited where the guy cuts all the major brands open and has pics of the innards. I learned my lesson about the Fram/Honda filter, it got embarrassed. The STP was the big surprise, at a few dollars you got all the features of the high dollar filters. I will stick to the Hamp Filters as I bought a ton of them so I don't have to hunt for something when in a bind.

Sorry about the math-I was typing and not thinking!!!!!

Quick Reply: For those with Synthetic oil!