S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

For those that have painted their bulbs after clearing their headlights...

Old 03-09-2003, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those that have painted their bulbs after clearing their headlights...

I've found the orange replacement bulbs, and they're $3.00. I would paint them, but I'm worried about discoloration. Does the paint hold up, or does is discolor? I have also found the replacement bulbs that are orange underneath, but are already painted a chrome color. Has anybody bought that kind? I don't plan on putting in a diffuser, as I think it looks good w/o on Sebring. I have done a search, and a few have said they work fine, but I wondered after time if it went bad. Just a little paranoid.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:59 PM

On my car which is an accord i use stained glass paint which bonds to the glass and it sticks very well. The only problem i had is my sidemarker light had condensation in it and the color faded but the ones that were really sealed well, never faded. YOu can buy this paint in craft stores. Hope this gives you another option to check out
Old 03-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A missing diffuser does not look good on any car that is in the $30k price range. Do yourself a favor and buy a freakin' diffuser. Going without a diffuser is one of the nastiest mods, IMO.

Sure, when we had no access to clear diffusers at a competitive price, some folks did what they could. But now that we have them available, utilize them!

And then you want to paint your bulb with a missing diffuser. Would you please post your address so I can send a tow truck to save your car.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:57 PM

Airgate, now that I've looked at a few more pics, I agree with you on the diffuser issue. Am I supposed to leave the bulb clear then, so it doesn't blink orange? I think the orange shows through a bit too much still with orange bulbs and clear diffuser. Maybe not so much with the dark diffuser? I see you're from New Bern. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune from 96-98. I used to get my Prelude serviced at the dealership there, as I didn't trust the one in Jacksonville.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SoDakS2K
I was stationed at Camp Lejeune from 96-98. I used to get my Prelude serviced at the dealership there, as I didn't trust the one in Jacksonville.
I lived in Jacksonville for a few years myself. You know, lots of folks take their Honda's out of Jacksonville for service. I bought my original S2000 (Berlina Black/Red) from LeJeune Honda and paid a nice $4k premium at the time.

Not that I cared, you could'nt get the smile off my face from being sooooo excited. At any rate, I had LeJeune Honda do all of the routine maintenance and warranty work. I had just a tad over 30k miles and had the S2000 service. When I picked it up, I noticed 2 dents on the fenders on EACH side.

I brought it to the Service Manager's attention where he actually told me, "We use the honor system here, if one my techs did that to your S2000, they would have told me."

Right. . .

So, I spoke with the General Manager who apologized for the issue and asked me to drive an Accord for an hour or so and he would have the car repaired ASAP! We left and when we returned, the car was perfect. The dent removal folks had completely removed all 4 dents from the fenders. I was very happy. Until. . .

The owner of the dealership approaches me and thanks me for my business. He then asks that I stop using his dealership for service. He said that I really upset alot of the techs in the back and that it would be better for everyone involved if I was to use another Honda dealer. He was quick to add, "if you ever need another Honda." ASSHOLE!

Wow, talk about getting long winded. . .

Another S2000 owner in Jacksonville also drives his S into New Bern for service. He also dislikes the Jacksonville dealer.

My diffuers are the USDM style in CLEAR. In fact, my clear diffusers are the actual prototypes. Seriously.

I just use an amber bulb in mine and really like the look. Here's a good front shot. I don't mind a little bit of amber showing (in fact, I think it looks classy with a little amber showing). I just hated the whole AMBER strip on the car.

The smoked diffusers will cut back on the amount of amber that reflects. I suggest you buy a set of those silver inside amber bulbs that you mentioned earlier. That will eliminate the issue of amber shining thru.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:36 AM

Sodak, check out my Avatar. I sprayed my bulbs silver over 2 years back - it is a daily driver. I think I was the first to do this and to date there hasn't been any discolouration.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:31 AM

most new cars dont come with diffusers, i think it looks better without it
Old 03-10-2003, 09:42 AM

2kturkey, did you use regular paint, or high temp? I can't find any high temp silver.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If airgate has beaten you into submission with the diffuser talk, I'd offer another thought. Like you said originally, the silver cars do look good with the naked (no diffuser) look. It is true that you can see the bulbs, but IMO it's not a big deal, and without the diffuser you do get the advantage of having the chrome housing showing. If you can't find the replacement bulbs, PM me. I have an errand to run tommorow and I'll drive by the shop where I bought mine. they are the same as OEM, but they come in orange. I'll be glad to get them for you and mail them to you, just paypal me the amount for the bulbs and postage after I send them.

And as redline said, most new cars don't have diffusers, just look at the 350z.

Raj
Old 03-10-2003, 10:00 AM

s2000raj, thanks for the advice. I have found the orange bulbs at our local stores. The diffuser issue will probably come down to how much the wife wants me to spend, and how it looks to her.

airgate, your experience with Lejeune honda doesn't surprise me too much. I had a timing belt put on once and that was it. I went to New Bern honda and liked the place a lot better. Thanks for the suggestions, too.

Quick Reply: For those that have painted their bulbs after clearing their headlights...