S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Thinking of trading in the S2000 this weekend...

Old 03-17-2001, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to tell you, when I first saw the M coupe some time ago I thought it was a "hacked-up" Z3. I couldn't figure out why anyone would want to do that to their car. Then I found out it was a BMW factory model - how could German engineering go so far awry!?! I realize it has decent performance, but personally, I don't see the attraction. I wouldn't be willing to give up the top-down fun for the M coupe, but as others have said, to each their own.
Old 03-17-2001, 07:05 AM

Why does the US M roadster/coupe have so little power? Here in Australia it has 236kW (315hp). It has always had that power as it has the same engine that has been in the M3 since '97 (I think). I don't think I can remember an M3 with an engine that had only 240hp .... at least not over the last 10 years. I don't understant where you (US) guys are losing 25% of the power?

Also, the upcoming M3 will have 255kW (340hp) here.

ps. No wonder you guys can keep up with the M3 and M roadster - they have the same power as S2000 and cary more weight.
Old 03-17-2001, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in the US, our "new" M3 engine is pretty much equivalent to the older M3 engines in Europe and Australia. One thing I really dislike about cars in the the US is that we either get lame versions of cool Euro/Jap cars, don't get them at all, or finally get them years after everyone else has.
(this would be an appropriate place to bitch about our orange corner lenses too but I think everyone else already shares my feelings on that one)
Old 03-17-2001, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by vodalus
Here in the US, our "new" M3 engine is pretty much equivalent to the older M3 engines in Europe and Australia. One thing I really dislike about cars in the the US is that we either get lame versions of cool Euro/Jap cars, don't get them at all, or finally get them years after everyone else has.
(this would be an appropriate place to bitch about our orange corner lenses too but I think everyone else already shares my feelings on that one)
Actually that is not true. Europe and Australia are either about to get or very soon to get an all new M3. The "older" M3 engine is completely different to the new one. The difference is that, this time the US is getting the exact same engine as the rest of the world where as before, the US got a de-tuned version of what the rest of the world got.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ldogdotcom
[B]As for the engine issue... yeah it's got more h.p., but the base on the car is about $4K more. And I won't be able to get it for $34k. And by that time, I won't get $30k for my car, either.
Old 03-17-2001, 01:37 PM

If the BMW is the car you will be happy with, buy it and have a blast.
Old 03-17-2001, 02:53 PM

I would forget everything you know and have heard about either cars. Drive the M and then drive your ride. I think if its to close at that point wait for the new model. If your like me or any amount of the users on this forum you wont be happy when the new model comes out and you read about its tremndous advantages verses your the older model, and of course resale which may or not be an issue.
The M coupe in my eyes is very appealing. But the S2000 is a miracle. The more and more I hammer on this car the more and more I realize it is like no other.
Good luck.........and just have fun!

Peace
Old 03-17-2001, 04:53 PM

Logdotcom
Can't you find a new M roadster to take out for a test drive someplace closer?
Good luck, and lets us know you impressions.
Old 03-17-2001, 05:34 PM
pfb

I've driven both back-to-back on the track. They both turn about the same lap times, but feel very different going around the track.

The M-coupe feels more disconnected, but the power is oh-so-ample and smooth. In general, it makes less of a fuss about going fast, and hence (IMHO) isn't quite as much fun to drive. The M-roadster has too much flex and an inferior rear suspension, so the coupe is the way to go. Of course you give up the open-top motoring experience.

Enjoy!
Old 03-17-2001, 06:07 PM

I'd say go for the current gen M coupe if the new one is going to be out of your budget. It's also fun to have different cars to play once awhile and you can always sell your M coupe later on. However, style wise, M Coupe = European Civic with M Power engine.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in the S2000 this weekend...