S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Thinking of trading in the S2000 this weekend...

Old 03-16-2001, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pictures of the next generation Z3 show a much better looking roadster with improved suspension and more powerful engines. The next gen M cars will make the coupe even less valuable that it already is. It may be the right automotive decision for you, but trading an S2000 for an M coupe is probably not a financial winner.
Old 03-16-2001, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep both. Drive the M on rainy days.
Old 03-16-2001, 02:17 PM

Actually, the M Coupe and M Roadster are getting 315 h.p. engines. There is something a little different than the M3 motor. I'm not sure if it's exhaust or what, but it's not the full glory 333 h.p. one.

But on a sidenote... how much less are the 95 M3s than the 96 M3s? The 95 has a different engine, more displacement, but still 240 h.p. and the 96-99s all have the same engine. It is far less obliging to accessories (all the mods are for '96+) and increased h.p. gains.

And also, I'm not looking for resale value- it wasn't an issue with the S2000 when I bought it. All this is a moot point if it rides like poo...
Old 03-16-2001, 02:26 PM

Ldogdotcom,

Hey bud...why don't you just wait for the new M Coupe?

You know you are going to want it if you have the old one.
Old 03-16-2001, 03:45 PM

Yes the M Coupes are horrible looking, and I too, think it will be wise to wait for the new version with 315 hp (different exhaust design because the car is smaller than the M3). Simply by waiting that time, you should be able to get the '00 M coupe for much cheaper than you could now. Overall though, it's your call and I'm sure you'll be happy with either car.
Old 03-16-2001, 04:08 PM

Ah yes.. the torque issue. When my Dad totaled his NSX (deep in the heart of Texas I might add) I was selling Hondas hot new roadster. I had him teatering on picking one of them up from me for $500.00 over invoice (in mid introduction craze, this was unheard of, but being an employee has its advantages). the local Acura dealer in Tulsa also deals in Honda, and they knew what had happened, and thus allowed a test drive. His words "Man, that is one neat little car, but all the fun happens @7000rpm, you have to drive it like you stole it." he bought another NSX. Personally I love the S2K, I drove a few of them, and I would give my left nut to own one. As for the M coupe? Whatever floats your boat, but I don't think the Beemer will be as kind come resale time.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:08 PM

But on a sidenote... how much less are the 95 M3s than the 96 M3s? The 95 has a different engine, more displacement, but still 240 h.p. and the 96-99s all have the same engine. It is far less obliging to accessories (all the mods are for '96+) and increased h.p. gains.
Actually the 95 engines are 200 cc smaller than the 96-99s (3.0 vs. 3.2) and have a little less torque on the low end but are much easier/cheaper to modify and get significantly bigger gains. Basically this is all because in 1995 there were no OBD-II restrictions.

Right now you should be able to get a 95 M3 for between 20K-24K. I think the value of these will be affected much less than the M Coupe because of the pricing and limited availability of the new M3. However there seems to be a a slight surplus of them right now and if you were in the market for one you should be able to get one for a pretty good deal.

I sold my '99 to my brother so I got to drive it the other day for the first time in a while. Honestly now I wouldnt ever buy it back now after driving the Honda (even though I loved it like a son when I owned it).

If you have any questions on any recent M car I should be able to help you out. Feel free to ask.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:22 PM

in general i agree with the general themes:
1) if you're psyched about it and get a good deal - congrats.
2) the M Coupe is (purely in my opinion and to my taste) among the ugliest cars on the road.
3) if something seems like it's too good to be true it usually is (and in this case the near future release of a much improved model is the reason).

in addition, i have to say that if i were to get rid of the S2K for a BMW it would be the M3 and only the M3. the M coupe is a compromise car and i'm not interested in that kind of compromise.
Old 03-16-2001, 05:30 PM
Sev

Speak of the devil, i just saw a black one on my way home and i commented to my fiend that it looks like a civic hatchback on steroids.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:36 PM

I think the M Coupe looks great. We need more adventurous cars on our roads. I bet a lot of people here think the Camry or Maxima is a nice looking car.

Anyways, I'd wait for the 75hp increase before buying one.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in the S2000 this weekend...