S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Thinking of trading in the S2000 this weekend...

Old 03-16-2001, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't ever darken our door again! Seriously, whatever melts your butter.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:18 PM

I had a pretty well modifed M3 for a short while and was looking to move from the M3 to the M Coupe but instead got the S2000 even though Im a very big fan of BMWs. The reason is because of the depreciation hit the current M Coupe is going to take when the new one comes out in about 2 months. The new one is almost exactly the same but with a 300+ hp engine from the new M3 (slightly less hp because of exhaust restrictions). I do really like the M Coupe but couldnt afford a new one and the old one is about to take a big hit. If you dont want the new one I would suggest you wait a few months to buy. I couldnt so I bought the S2000 and Im very very happy.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Ldogdotcom
...the dealership has a car that very few people want

...the M is even rarer than the S2000
That makes sense: As very few people find it bearable to look at, very few people have them.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:34 PM

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to get the M Coupe when a new engine is coming out in several months. I'm sure you'll have to wait quite a bit to pick it up, though... so there's your ordeal.

From the way it sounds, you've already made the decision. You want a change, you want torque and surely you will get it with the M Coupe. Looks are much more unique than the S2000. Definitely has a love it or hate it design.

Go for it if you can't wait or don't want to stretch for the new M Coupe. I'm sure you will love it.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:43 PM

I am sorry to hear that. IMHO they are fut buckin ugly. I could have afforded the BMW or the BoxsterS, but for me, when you talk about total package, the S is SOOOO much sexier than the BMW and Porsche and it's performance is right in-between. Ohh...and the fact that I saved enough money to buy a third car, that was pretty cool too.

But, as has been stated, if that's what you like, go for it. But also, as has been stated, why not wait until the new one comes out and they are selling that car at WAY below MSRP and probably below invoice as well?
Old 03-16-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I saw the M Coupe I smiled and nearly laughed. I wasn't familiar with the M series, but thought someone had modified an M Roadster to look like a Gremlin.

I have to agree that it was very ugly...but its got the BMW engineering underneath so it can't be bad. I wonder what drives its rarity? Perhaps sales...if you're going to spend that kind of money, make sure ahead of time that you feel alright with people staring at you like your driving a moon car.

-B

[Edited by bguernsey on 03-16-2001 at 02:50 PM]
Old 03-16-2001, 01:49 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts

Elf shoe is right! Though I did just see one today. I said wow nice car then I saw the side and rear end. Sorry it was just ugly. If they redid that back end it would look a lot better though to me it looks like they stretched out one of the old civic hatch backs with the rounded rear.

Pick up the new M Roadster! Only if you must. If you do you will surely make some guy happy!(who picks up a S2000)
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]You want an elf shoe?!
Old 03-16-2001, 01:51 PM

Ldog, how'd you come across a dealer in Atlanta? I agree, Fields=Attitudes. Man, I wish I wasn't working this weekend, I'd make the drive with you; always up for a cruise in the stook! Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-16-2001, 01:55 PM

As for the engine issue... yeah it's got more h.p., but the base on the car is about $4K more. And I won't be able to get it for $34k. And by that time, I won't get $30k for my car, either.

And as for the decision... my mind isn't 100% made up yet. Sure I'm driving 350 miles just for a test drive, but it's something that I feel like I have to do. If I don't like it, and it doesn't make me feel like the S2000 does, I'm not getting it, no matter what the price.

It kinda feels like I'm cheating on a girlfriend to find out of I really love her, especially because an old flame (the M Coupe) is suddenly in the picture again.
Old 03-16-2001, 02:01 PM

There is a reason you are getting a "deal" on the '00 M Coupe and Giampiero, jws626 and SpaceNeedle said it:

'01 M Coupe with a 333 hp engine.

Enjoy the new toy but you'll always regret the fateful day you hand your S2000 keys over to the BMW dealer.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in the S2000 this weekend...