S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Is there a Year to avoid on the S2k

Old 02-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think that the MY01 > rims < MY04 suck.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:09 PM

MY00
4yrs, 1mo
61k miles

No problems, even without taking it in for any of the TSBs - never needed them. And I don't exactly pussyfoot around. It's seen the track many, many times and has yet to fall apart.

My only complaint is that my radio sucks, I don't have a clock, my plastic rear window has a decent-size crease across the middle, and my passenger seat has a small stain, thanks to a damn bird with very good aim.

I'd say the year to avoid (but only just) would be the MY00, but only because it would typically have more mileage, more rock chips and/or dings, and it has the crappy radio and plastic rear window. But then again, it should also be quite a bit cheaper.

Just remember, Silverstone is the faster of the two silvers.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:16 PM

They are all good. My MY00 was rock solid through the day I traded it.

It is features. Glass window beginning in '02. More suspension, driveline stuff (plus more controversial 2.2 motor) in '04.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by C45P312
i believe there is no specific year ... its basically what you want and dont want ... i chose pre-2004 because i wanted the 9K redline ... but that's just me
Funny. I chose the '04 because of the better low-end torque. The 9k redline may be fun to look at but functionally speaking it offers me nothing over the '04.

What's more, I knew I did not want any pre '02's because of the vinyl rear window.

I would say you are pretty safe with any year as long as you make sure the used cars were treated well.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:45 PM

they're alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll good
Old 02-06-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by alexf20c
MY00
4yrs, 1mo
61k miles

No problems, even without taking it in for any of the TSBs - never needed them. And I don't exactly pussyfoot around. It's seen the track many, many times and has yet to fall apart.

My only complaint is that my radio sucks, I don't have a clock, my plastic rear window has a decent-size crease across the middle, and my passenger seat has a small stain, thanks to a damn bird with very good aim.

I'd say the year to avoid (but only just) would be the MY00, but only because it would typically have more mileage, more rock chips and/or dings, and it has the crappy radio and plastic rear window. But then again, it should also be quite a bit cheaper.
Just remember, Silverstone is the faster of the two silvers.
Sounds almost like mine

MY00
87000 km

No problems even after 3000km driving on the Nurburgring circuit the past year. The plastic window also has a few scratches, but when I took the car in for scheduled inspection, they found nothing wrong with it!

OK, well, they noted that the front tyres were worn and the brake discs were blue from overheating, but I told them not to worry about it I went through 1 set of tyres and 3 sets of brake pads in the season.

There's a few clicks and noises from the roof, but this has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in my life so far.

///Robin
Old 02-06-2004, 05:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The only model year to avoid is the next one. It means you have to wait to get your S!

Old 02-06-2004, 05:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by THAGR81
If I remember correctly the '00-'01 had a computer than ran a little richer, and starting with '02 production the computer was leaned out a bit.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:27 AM

I recently purchased an 01' and now I'm thinking about selling it and getting an 02'. My main reason is because I would like the rear glass window, tweeter pods, and the revised suspension/tranny tweaks would be good too.

So, is it worth selling and moving up for those things? Or am I better off keeping the one I got? I like mine because it was a pretty good deal ($21,300 with 22K miles and driven by an older lady - 50's). It's very clean inside and out and has the black/leather combo with silverstone paint. Only "damage" I've noticed are some door dings that I can only see in certain angles/conditions.

My rear window is beginning to fog a bit, and has some creases or "dimples," otherwise, it's good.

I'm just trying to see if I can "move up" to the 02' without taking a huge loss and getting a good deal.

Any comments?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by M-Type
they're alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll good

yeah seriously. lets not turn this into a flame war. again, its all personal preference. i happen to like the 04's just as much as the 00-03. each have their own pros/cons, and its up to you to determine what you want.

Quick Reply: Is there a Year to avoid on the S2k