S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Theory: removing soft top completely saves 50 lbs

Old 11-25-2002, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Theory: removing soft top completely saves 50 lbs

Not that this would be popular around convertible enthusiasts but I have to think that there are some people that prefer coupes that bought the S2000 for more than just its convertibility.

Given this, wondering why none of the hardcore racers has removed the soft top completely and replaced with the hard top full time for a) looks and b) weight savings.

I did a little bit of research into how much weight this may save.

1) The difference between the 330 CIC and 330 CI is 330 pounds. However, the convertible top is significantly bigger on the bimmer so 330 is probably stretching it.

2) The difference between the M Coupe and the M roadster is 31 pounds. If you factor in that the M coupe probably does not use a 48 lb hardtop like the S2000, this difference is probably smaller than what it would be with the S.

I was looking into how much the Spoon S2000 weighs: 2250 pounds, about 550 pounds lighter than stock. They use the OEM hardtop and do not appear to have any CF trunk, doors, hood etc. They do have their exhaust/header etc. but most of the weight savings obviously comes from stripping the car. I would venture to say about 400 of the 550 weight savings comes from stripping the car. This would include, seats, sound deadening, upholstry, AC, radio, but I would have to believe that a major chunk of it would be the removal of the soft top system.

Could it be in the range of 100 lbs? Anyone willing to venture out and try it?

Just a thought. When mine arrives in a few months, will think on this some more. Weight in the 2400 range without having to spend boatloads on carbon fibre is tempting.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go ask wesmaster he's already done it.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it...
The following weights are off the top of my head but should be close as i did make an effort to weigh the various items at one point.

Removed:
55 to 60lbs for the soft top
10 to 15lbs for the cross member behind the seats
10 to 15lbs of misc plastic trim
15 to 20lbs of stock roll hoop

So thats 90 to 110lbs removed

Added:
42lbs of soft top
60lbs of 4pt rollbar

so thats about 102 lbs added.

Its pretty close to being a wash weight wise but the aerodynamics should be improved a bit and i have no problem hoisting the HT when i want to go topless.

Currently my car comes in at around 2650lbs and i figure i have about another 100lbs of easy to remove weight... the rest of it will be dificult.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:13 PM

I thought the Spoon car DID have carbon fiber body panels.

Which bar are you running Dave?
Old 11-26-2002, 10:28 AM

Doc, I have a custom built bar very similar to what Triple-H had made, same main hoop design. But, since my soft top has been removed my kickers go back to just behind the shock towers. You can see it at the Streets Dec 13th.

Oh, I'm pretty sure the Spoon car i drove didnt have carbon fiber body panels as most of them were dinged up and i dont think carbon panels ding.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:01 PM

Nice Dave, look forward to meeting you and seeing the car. From what i have seen, the Triple H design looks very structurally sound and is actually aesthetically pleasing as well. Sounds like yours is even more rigid.

I dont know where i heard that about the Spoon car but i thought that was how they saved so much weight. I have also heard that they use an assortment of Ti bolts as well.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:20 PM

yes, i seem to remember something about >100lbs of weight savings thru Ti bolts alone.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:35 PM

30 loss equals 1 hp gained right?

does 2 hp make that much of difference?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by ricosuave
30 loss equals 1 hp gained right?

does 2 hp make that much of difference?
Not only is the power/weight ratio improved, but the weight advantage is in effect throughout the power band, leading to a performance gain better than a 'mere' peak hp gain.

Handling and braking also are both improved, whereas increase in power alone may not help as directly in those categories.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Prolene
Not only is the power/weight ratio improved, but the weight advantage is in effect throughout the power band, leading to a performance gain better than a 'mere' peak hp gain.

Handling and braking also are both improved, whereas increase in power alone may not help as directly in those categories.
These are excellent points that many people just don't understand. To many times on this board people question why we do things to lose weight on this vehicle. The real answer is because we can and because we want to.

Quick Reply: Theory: removing soft top completely saves 50 lbs