S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Theives Took My Baby... Now What?

Old 07-07-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theives Took My Baby... Now What?

I became the proud new owner of a 2006 Suzuka Blue S2k last November. It was my first real car, and has been nothing but a joy to own for the last 8 months. I seriously didn't think you could love a car as much as I loved my Suzi Blue.

On Saturday morning (seriously? Independence Day?), I received a knock on the door from a Boca Raton police officer who informed me that both my car and another nearly identical S2k parked in the same parking garage attached to my apartment complex had been burglarized. The theives cut my top, stole my seats, dash controls, entire steering wheel, shift knob, and battery. Oh, and my $10 suction cup phone cradle from Amazon (that one actually made me chuckle). The other guy's car was similar, although he got to keep his dash, battery, and steering wheel assembly. They left both of our head units completely intact.

They also got my wallet. I know, I'm an idiot for leaving it in the car. I almost never do that, but it was hidden under the seat and out of view. It wasn't the impetus for the break in, just a nice bonus for the theives to find after they removed my seats. I discovered the theives unsuccessfully tried to use my debit card at a gas station 20 minutes away in Fort Lauderdale around 10:45 Friday night. That puts the timing of the theft around 10 pm. It's almost unfathomable that they were able to pull that off in a relatively busy parking garage at that time without someone seeing them, but here's to hoping getting a gas station video camera and all the fresh prints they left on our cars are their undoing.

So now, after 6+ hours on the phone dealing with the inefficiency of the Road Side Service company contracted by All State, and some even more inept tow truck drivers, my car has finally been dragged away to a shop to assess the damages.

I'm convered under my family's policy we've held with All State for well over a decade. This will be the first time a claim of any sort has been made on the policy. $1k deductible, and we don't have the rental car option. When I called in my claim, they told me that I was entitled to any repair shop of my choice after they have it towed to an All State-partner repair shop to have the damages assessed. That's all I know.

I'm not livid. I'm not depressed. Obviously I'm not happy, but dwelling on it isn't going to fix things. Learning everything I can about my situation so I can take the best approach just might.

My car was an 06 with 78k miles. Very good overall condition, clean bill of health throughout it's life; the only thing short of excellent was the soft top, which was fading and had a few cuts I patched. And yes, it did have a Clifford alarm system installed by the previous owner, and a very touchy one at that.

I know that it's different with every state, insurance company, and situation, but should I expect them to declare it a total loss? Does the fact that damages were incurred by theft and don't compromise the structural integrity of the car (as opposed to accident damages) effect that decision? If they do declare it a total loss, should I try to fight it? If they don't declare it a total loss and cover all the damages, will it drastically effect the value of my car thereafter? What kind of timetable should I be prepared to expect for each stage of the process? Aside from checking around local Craigslist ads, are there any other efforts worth making to try and find the perps? Any advice would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks!

*I am very aware of seat locks. They were the next thing on my to do list. Next time, they'll be the first thing
Old 07-07-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are excellent questions for your insurance agent.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:19 PM

That's my first call tomorrow morning now that I've finally finished getting the car taken away. Just want to find out whatever I can going into that conversation.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 PM

My Suzi Blue got hit and run on Independence Day. Crappy day for S2000s apparently.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Yes, of course ask all these questions with your insurance agent, but several of the questions about the process are perfect to ask here because others have been through it and can give extra insight and guidance. And who knows how helpful, thorough, or communicative the agent will be? Some are good and some are not.

It's strictly about costs versus value of car when it comes to their decision about totaling it. If it was me, and I was certain the car has been otherwise structurally and mechanically sound, I would be finding ways to *not* have them total it so I could keep it. I might consider aftermarket seats, for instance. To me the most important aspects are structural and mechanical. Interior bits can be replaced. Top can be replaced. But finding another structurally and mechanically unmolested example as a replacement can be challenging.

But you need to do some research, get some numbers, find out what insurance wants to do, etc. This will take time. After you have all your info. Then weigh out the pros and cons and decide what's best for you.

Sorry to hear about this. Sucks.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Ouch Backmarker, I feel for you. Cheers to our health, at least?

Thanks RMurphy. If it's feasible, I'd prefer to restore the car. Really lucked out on finding an 06 in an acceptable color with just the right amount of miles. I'm not optimistic about finding that perfect match again.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This could end up working out in your favor if they total it, then allow you to buy it back for a significant discount. I think thats what RMurphy was eluding to.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:14 PM

I would think that selling the salvaged vehicle back to the insured after writing it off would be a no-no in a case like this? Seems like a big moral hazard issue. Otherwise I could burglar myself and pocket the difference
Old 07-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by GatorTrader
I would think that selling the salvaged vehicle back to the insured after writing it off would be a no-no in a case like this? Seems like a big moral hazard issue. Otherwise I could burglar myself and pocket the difference
Mmm, good thinkin. Not that I would ever do that, but I wasn't smart enough to even think about something like that. I'd assume they would only do it if they had a suspect in custody...?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:27 PM

you would be better off having them total the car than having one that was stripped.

and you can also buy the car back if it's totaled.

plus if they total the car, you don't have to accept the first offer or any offer for that matter. Tell them u cannot replace the car for less than $XX,XXX

Quick Reply: Theives Took My Baby... Now What?