S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Thank You Secretary of Transport!

Old 01-31-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thank You Secretary of Transport!

Thank You Secretary (in dutch its called Minister) of Transport for building more and more roundabouts in our little country. They are supposed to be safer and let the traffic flow better then normal crossroads and junctions.
But thats not all.
They are much, much more FUN!
Driving fast by itself gets boring (yes it does)
Accelerating (g-forces) and cornering (g-forces) just stays exciting!
On my way to work I pass several and two I like best because I have to take them 3/4, as a left turn on a normal crossing.
So here is how I attack a small roundabout.
Enter in 2nd (about 35 mph), engine braking from 3rd, at the right side of the road, close to the curb, without showing brakelights (gets the one behind me EVERY time...)
Little throttle, makes the car neutral, just point the nose where you want it with all the grip the S has, staying close to the centre of the roundabout and accelerating as much as i dare on sometimes wet roads.
Then the exit, close to the right curb again.
Full throttle till , shift, ,oops... speedlimit passed like there is no tomorrow.

WOW
I wanna go again!

If there was someone behind me there usualy just a dot in my mirror.

I just love my S2000.
Well... love.. I like it VERY MUCH!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I think roundabouts are great answers sometimes but I've seen too many idiots that don't get the concept and just stop at them. Drives me nuts.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in Scotland I loved the roundabouts. People in the states don't understand them to the degree where the really work well. It's a freaking shame... but makes sense really because people here don't like to drive anyway, ie, automatics and SUVs.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living in Oklahoma City, OK, I have no idea what a roundabout is. Can you describe it a little more.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:03 PM

roundabout is this...

Old 01-31-2006, 02:11 PM

I believe they are an accident-fest in the US because people don't know the concept of YIELDING. We have one in my old home town. One of the last circles in the state of NJ. I have been cut off dozens of times from people who just cruise right in without even giving it a thought to look to the left to see if anyone is coming.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:22 PM

I think another reason why roundabouts are not really used in US is b/c we don't learn about them in drivers ed class (at least when I was learning how to drive...), so people don't know how to use them properly.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 PM

Agreed. My first time driving roundabouts was a visit to England -- driving a rental Alfa Romeo sports sedan, first time in a RHD car, first time shifting with my left hand, and trying to make sure I stay on the right (that is, left) side of the road. I was doing fine until I hit the first roundabout, when the road-side confusion coupled with the roundabout to fry my brain -- dead stop until the roundabout cleared, no doubt irritating the folks behind me.

Got the hang of it after a couple of days, but it sure felt strange even when I left. Guess it's what you get used to.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe04sk,Jan 31 2006, 02:57 PM
Living in Oklahoma City, OK, I have no idea what a roundabout is. Can you describe it a little more.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=ro...out&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 01-31-2006, 04:21 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

From wikipedia

Roundabouts are great for smaller intersections - easy to use and keep traffic flowing all the time.

Quick Reply: Thank You Secretary of Transport!