S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Testpipe Question

Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testpipe Question

While in bumper to bumper traffic I noticed a few puff of white smoke coming from my exhaust on decel while in first gear. Is this normal?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 PM

isnt white smoke burning coolant? if anything test pipes should give you black smoke no?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by terahertz,Aug 23 2005, 07:46 PM
isnt white smoke burning coolant? if anything test pipes should give you black smoke no?
no clue, anyone else respond?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

White smoke = coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.
Have you checked to see if your coolant level has been going down?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 24 2005, 08:48 AM
White smoke = coolant leaking into the combustion chamber.
Have you checked to see if your coolant level has been going down?
No I havent, Ive only had the testpipe for like a week. I was top down on the way home yesterday and noticed it, the sun was bright so I dunno if it made it white or what, I guess Ill have to check.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

No relation between test pipe and white smoke !!!
You'r burning coolant;head gasket is cracked,or you head is warped !!!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:01 PM

I answered this in a PM to the original poster and I thought it might be worthwhile to post it here.

Since he has only the testpipe on for a short time and we don't know how much the car has been driven since then AND the fact that he's unsure about the exact color of the smoke due to the lighting, I'll add this:

Any new exhaust component will have welding residue. The system needs to be heated up to burn off this residue. Most of the time, we can smell something odd after we put on a new exhaust or after having had exhaust work done at the muffler shop. If you inspect the inside of a new testpipe, you will see that it is not pretty. It has all kinds of crap and garbage coating the inside surface. When I got mine, I made a point of cleaning the inside fairly well. If no cleaning was done, then it's entirely likely that the residue burning off is what he saw.

However, to be on the safe side, the coolant level should be checked periodically over the next few driving cycles to make sure it's not disappearing.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 24 2005, 03:01 PM
I answered this in a PM to the original poster and I thought it might be worthwhile to post it here.

Since he has only the testpipe on for a short time and we don't know how much the car has been driven since then AND the fact that he's unsure about the exact color of the smoke due to the lighting, I'll add this:

Any new exhaust component will have welding residue. The system needs to be heated up to burn off this residue. Most of the time, we can smell something odd after we put on a new exhaust or after having had exhaust work done at the muffler shop. If you inspect the inside of a new testpipe, you will see that it is not pretty. It has all kinds of crap and garbage coating the inside surface. When I got mine, I made a point of cleaning the inside fairly well. If no cleaning was done, then it's entirely likely that the residue burning off is what he saw.

However, to be on the safe side, the coolant level should be checked periodically over the next few driving cycles to make sure it's not disappearing.
with you,but he had his pipe on for a week;normally it does not take that long to burn all this residue,wich would be mostly grease or oil,or flux from the welding.
After reading your post,Xviper,I went to take a look at my Megan test pipe,that I just received this afternoon;ran a rag through it a couple times,and it is now clean as a whistle !!!
Thank's for the good idea!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Aug 24 2005, 01:16 PM
but he had his pipe on for a week;normally it does not take that long to burn all this residue,wich would be mostly grease or oil,or flux from the welding.
It would take 2 to 3 really good driving cycles to burn that off. We don't know how much he drives his car and for how long each time. In that week, he may not have heated up the exhaust system hot enough or long enough to do the trick.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:10 PM
Former Moderator

Coolant was at the top of the little black ring underneath the radiator cap.

Quick Reply: Testpipe Question