S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

TEST PIPE questions

Old 12-05-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by a_zepeda926,Dec 5 2006, 01:26 AM
state the downsides please?
IMO, the main one is that anybody running a test pipe on the street is being a selfish jerk, polluting everybody else's air for the tiniest amount of extra power that you don't need and never use on the street in the first place.

If this is a race car that gets driven a couple thousand miles a year at the most, or a show car dyno queen that gets trailered everywhere, then fine. But if you put 10-20K street miles on your car, why make the rest of us breathe your foul emissions?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well i keep hearing no hspw increases an then some people are claiming 3-8 hspw increase which one is it? I will be running it WITH stock exhuast. I do not want a dual loud exhuast on this sexy car its pointless IMO if your boosted or Fast sure a nice single is alrite but otherwise no thanx.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by dthondatune,Dec 5 2006, 12:10 PM
Is the yellowing caused by the heat build-up or from the exhaust fumes?
It's from the hydrocarbons in the exhaust that are no longer being consumed by the converter.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Jew,Dec 5 2006, 02:54 PM
well i keep hearing no hspw increases an then some people are claiming 3-8 hspw increase which one is it?
3-8 bhp is within the data scatter of testing. Different days, different humidities,different temperatures, different dynos, what have you.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the main one is that anybody running a test pipe on the street is being a selfish jerk, polluting everybody else's air for the tiniest amount of extra power that you don't need and never use on the street in the first place.

If this is a race car that gets driven a couple thousand miles a year at the most, or a show car dyno queen that gets trailered everywhere, then fine. But if you put 10-20K street miles on your car, why make the rest of us breathe your foul emissions?
Smoking is legal... I'm much more likely to get cancer or some other health problem from second-hand smoke than a car's emissions.

Wait, I'm not gonna go there.

To each his/her own.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:35 PM

I have heard that the smell gets relly bad and sometimes induces headaches. Has this been a problem for anyone?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021,Dec 5 2006, 03:24 PM
I'm much more likely to get cancer or some other health problem from second-hand smoke than a car's emissions.
Probably not. Cars without cats put out worse compounds, and more importantly they put out a lot more of them. Imagine if you tried to breathe in a car's exhaust the way a smoker inhales a cigarette. You wouldn't last 10 minutes, much less 20 years.

People don't die because they are in a closed garage with a smoker.

The cat doesn't solve everything -- the car still puts out CO2, CO, HAPs, HCs, NOx, SOx, etc. But it does cut down on a lot of the most toxic stuff.

Don't toss out this BS unless you have data to back it up.

ps. I'm an emissions control engineer, so I do have some idea of what I'm talking about. Do you?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AJ PwR,Dec 5 2006, 12:36 PM
It will be impossible to pass emissions with a test pipe.
I got my car smoged 2 weeks after i installed my TP and passed.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Dec 5 2006, 05:37 PM
Probably not. Cars without cats put out worse compounds, and more importantly they put out a lot more of them. Imagine if you tried to breathe in a car's exhaust the way a smoker inhales a cigarette. You wouldn't last 10 minutes, much less 20 years.

People don't die because they are in a closed garage with a smoker.

The cat doesn't solve everything -- the car still puts out CO2, CO, HAPs, HCs, NOx, SOx, etc. But it does cut down on a lot of the most toxic stuff.

Don't toss out this BS unless you have data to back it up.

ps. I'm an emissions control engineer, so I do have some idea of what I'm talking about. Do you?
If ENTHRALLED can pass a SMOG test odviously it's enough to keep our O zone safe. I don't see the problem with removing a cat on a 4 cylinder Honda that in some states can still pass emissions and not to mention the big V8 guys that have all 6 of their cats removed just for sound. It's not like we spew smoke every where like Uncle Buck. You should give everyone supporting this topic a break because it's not as bad as you're making it out to be. My TP has made my driving experience in the S2000 more enjoyable (go figure...it can be done) and that's what is important IMHO.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by importkid,Dec 5 2006, 09:45 PM
My TP has made my driving experience in the S2000 more enjoyable (go figure...it can be done) and that's what is important IMHO.
Damn straight. It's all about you and your enjoyment. Sorry I forgot that.

Quick Reply: TEST PIPE questions