S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Test Drive Report: 350z, WRX, S2000

Old 09-24-2002, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive Report: 350z, WRX, S2000

i'll start by saying i just found this website today. This is a post i made on another website. I'll just copy it here and then expand on it a little afterwards.
WRX, price as tested ~25,000:

This test drive was FUN! The salesman brought me to a curvey back road and encouraged me to take the car in 3rd gear full-throttle through 20mph dirt covered turns. I must say the car holds the road as well as anything i've ever driven. The steering was very predictable. The interior felt a little junky with the most uncomfortable seats of the bunch and lots of corny plastic and emblems everywhere. I also think the car is pretty damn ugly, but there's no doubt it performs amazingly for the price.

S2000, price as tested ~32,000:

I cannot explain how sweet this little car is. The one i tested was silver with a red interior. The red leather interior is about the best lookin thing i've ever seen on a car. My first impression when i got in was that it is a little cramped (i'm 6'2, 175). However, that is to be expected as it is a true sportscar, not to mention i got in it 30 seconds after bein in my F250. Although there's not much room to move around inside, the seats are extremely comfortable and everything is positioned well. There's something awesome about a push-button starter in a no-frills red leather interior and a car that redlines at 9000rpm! This little thing FLIES! And it also feels even faster than it is because upshifts occur at such high rpm. Also it was a great day for a convertible.

350Z, price as tested ~34,000:

I tested the performance model Z that also had a $2,000 navigation system which i wouldn't want. They were asking 39k, 5k above sticker for it. Just FYI, the base model Z starts at around 26 i think and has the same exact motor and tranny. Overall when i got the chance to really look at it i was unimpressed with the syling. It is too curvy for my liking. The interior however is gorgeous and the seats were the most comfy of the three. I test drove one with cloth seats and sat in one with leather...i prefered the cloth, although the leather were better looking. There was more space in it than the S2000, but just sitting in it you wouldn't know if you were in a real sportscar or a luxery sporty sedan. The car is very quick but doesn't have that racecar feel like the honda did. The gearbox shifted flawlessly and the ratios seemed to be chosen very well. It had decent torque and power in every gear, not even struggling in 6th at 50mph.

Overall i'd say the suburu is the most practical of the three, the 350z is the most luxurious, and the S2000 is the most exhilerating and fun. Anyways, if you have any questions ask away...

-Steve
Old 09-24-2002, 09:53 PM

i thought i'd give a little more info now on the topic i'm sure you all are interested in...the S2k vs. 350Z.
First of all, i still haven't totally made up my mind, but i dont think i like the look of the Z. It really does look a lot like the TT and is too curvy and futuristic looking for my liking. It doesn't *look* as fast as the S2k does. The interior is pretty sweet though. I don't think i can describe it but it looks just like you'd imagine the interior of a futuristic luxury sports car. Notice i said luxury sports car, not true sports car because nothing about the interior screams "fast". A big plus IMHO is that the Z is much roomier inside and also has a lot more storage space in the rear. Ok now for the road...the car is fast in any gear. However i wouldn't say it's terribly impressive in it's speed. It may score good times, but doesn't feel as fast as the S2k while doing it. The tranny and shifter are pretty nice, although again i thought the S2k's was a little nicer. Overall driving it was cool and i got a lot of stares, but it wasn't a terribly unique experience.

Now on to my impressions of the S2k. My first impression was it was TIGHT. The driver is definitely sunk into a little pocket with no real room to move around. This was shocking at first (i was coming out of my F250) but a minute into the test drive i was perfectly comfortable. I must say that the new all-red interior is a sight to be seen. I'm sure it's not for everyone but i thought it was gorgeous. The car was a light silver with the red and it really envoked the feeling of an old roadster. On the road i couldn't really let the car go too much because of the road we were on and the salesman in the passenger seat, but i could tell the car would be an absolute BLAST! It was a gorgeous day and we had the top down which just added to everything. I would assume that it takes a little practice to get the hang of driving with such high shift points, but once you get it i'm sure it's very rewarding. Overall this car just felt like a true sportscar should feel in every aspect.

My money is going towards an S2000. even if you give nissan the benefit of the doubt and say they're equal in every other way...there's always something to be said for being able to drop the top in 15 seconds.

-Steve
Old 09-24-2002, 10:14 PM

The top drops in 6 seconds. j/k
Nice write up. I just saw an orange Z with the orangish tan leather and it was very nice inside. The orange paint was quite metallic. I liked it. Definately not as tight as the S2k inside, and more luxurious.
P.S. It was....an automatic
Old 09-25-2002, 04:47 AM

Thanks for the write-up of your driving impressions of the 350Z vs. the S2000 !
Old 09-25-2002, 04:50 AM

5.4 seconds for the top here

As far as the curves of the Z... I think another poster said it best when he described the back end as "looking like a dog trying to take a crap and run at the same time"
Old 09-25-2002, 06:29 AM

Nice write up, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

The WRX is a lot of performance for the money, but is not a coupe or convertible. The Z is not available as a drop-top. If you are just looking for "a car" then I guess you could compare the 3, but if you are looking for another convertible (as I am) then all but the S2000 go out of the running (of your 3)

I am looking at getting an S2000, but also looking at a Z3 (my daily driver is a BMW 330i and I love it), and even thinking about a V-8 Mustang convertible. I have always likes the looks of the Z3, but of the 3 the S2000 is my "favorite". It would be a big adjustment after my 2000 'vette convertible - big interior, big trunk, gobs of torgue - then tight interior, small trunk, not much torque (but a lot more tossable and fun).

When I test drove an S2000, I started out thinking the shift linkage or tranny was hosed - no way the shift lever could move so little. I had a Miata with a VooDoo knob and a short shift kit and I don't think it was as short a throw.

If you can live with 2 seats and a small trunk, the S2000 is an awesome car and should be a hoot to drive every day.

Dennis
Old 09-25-2002, 11:34 AM

Hi,

I'm fairly short - 5'6", and the S2K is a welcome relief. The recent trend of high cowls (see the Audi TT, for example) can make all but the tallest folks feel like they're sitting down in a hole. It's pretty hard to rest your elbow on the window sill when the sill is shoulder height.

The S2K fits me like a glove. I seem to sit comfortably high in it. That, and the small low steering wheel make for an absolutely delightful experience.

--Steve
Old 09-25-2002, 11:35 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for your experience in your test drives. If I was in the market for a new car I would be looking at the same three. (Plus the RSX Type S) It sound's like your opinions are what I would expect from the cars. Glad I already have the S2k.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:36 PM

Welcome to the S2KI.

Thanks for the great write-ups. I enjoyed reading them.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drjekyll2000
[B]5.4 seconds for the top here

As far as the curves of the Z... I think another poster said it best when he described the back end as "looking like a dog trying to take a crap and run at the same time"