S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Test Drive Advice Needed

Old 01-13-2002, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive Advice Needed

I've been lurking on this forum for months. Well I'm finally going to get to test drive a S2000. The local dealership (Allen Honda) is getting a 2002 silver S2000 in on Wednesday. The salesperson has never driven one either. I think he's as excited as I am. I don't want a silver car so I won't be buying this one. I'm currently driving a 2001 5spd base red stock prelude. This will also be my first time driving a RWD car.

Any advice on things I should/shouldn't do during the test drive? I really want to feel the s2000 vtec, but it's a brand new car, they are going to sell to someone else. I hate to screwup the breakin on someone elses new car. I wish this town had more in the way of curvy roads.

Thanks!

Ryan
College Station, TX
Old 01-13-2002, 05:01 AM

Drive it like any other test drive on any other car. It's a car (and an expensive purchase.) It's not a temple. The chances of you breaking it are slim to none.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:43 AM

I would look around for a used s2000. They are starting to pop everywhere and a quick look in the paper is all it would take. That way you get to drive a broken in one and you don't have to feel guilty about ragging on someone's future pride and joy.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:01 AM

You could do a search and find an owner on the broad here that lives near you, that could give you a proper ride. I've driven both non-broken in and broken in S2K's and once its broken in they act better a little looser in a good way. I'd try that plus if the guy at the dealer hasn't driven one then he won't be a very big help should you have any (?)'s.

Just my .03

Have fun and drive it like ya stole it!!

-Later
--DK
Old 01-13-2002, 07:04 AM
mas

Well, I just got my s2k a couple week - traded in my 98 prelude. I'd suggest you test drive one that's been broken in - a demo or used s2k. I drove a new one and was disappointed (the car had something wrong as well), then I drove a demo and it was much smooth. Basically, the transmission is a direct link so you feel some vibration in the shift knob that's normal, but a little more when the car's new. As for RWD, just take is easy, don't push the car in curves and lift off the throttle in the middle of the curve. Don't test drive on a rainy cold day.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:05 AM

I agree - getting together with other local S2000 owners is a better idea. THough, it depends if someone will let you drive their car.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2ktaxi
[B]I agree - getting together with other local S2000 owners is a better idea.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:37 AM

Check out the club section for your area...
Old 01-13-2002, 08:51 AM

My recommendation would be to find a demo car that has enough miles on it that it can be VTEC'd and a salesman who has experience driving the car. My salesman gave me a ride through some twisties and as we entered the first curve, my brain was telling me "We aren't going to make this curve!" But we did and it was a real rush. The car was his daily driver to and from the dealership and he took this road every day. He also was able to help me, a newbie, have a decent test drive myself and that's what sold me on the car. But you will never get close, on a test drive, to understanding what a fantasic car this is. DO NOT judge it from any test drive! Only after you have about 5-6 K miles behind the wheel will you begin to feel one with the car and when driving it starts to become second nature is when the real fun factor kicks in.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:20 PM

Have fun and drive it like ya stole it!!
Thats what the sales guy said Saturday when I took a two hour test drive. His exact words were "Drive it like you stole it once we turn the corner!" I would highly suggest you push the car to redline or damn near on your test drive or you wont understand why people love the car. I thought it was a dog until I started nailing 5500 rpm launches and running all the way to redline. The LSD impressed me a lot however I think its a bit aggressive. Nice controlled launches are what hooked me. I figured that on a hard 1-2 shift the tires would smoke a lot but the LSD would only allow a couple puffs when it kicked in. Not enough low end to rip em'. The rear only jumped out a couple of inches. Powering out of an early apex corner was a blast. The rear would start to give with initial power-on but once you got on the gas hard it whipped right into shape. The LSD makes for great donut fun too. I think the sales guy had more fun than me. We took turns and shared. I doubt he will share his commision with me.

Quick Reply: Test Drive Advice Needed