S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Tein EDFC owners, question

Old 02-07-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tein EDFC owners, question

I am asking this question for a friend of mine who has Tein's with the EDFC. He appearently read the directions and spoke to a few people and no one is sure if you can safely adjust the damper while moving. Anyone know?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by revhi' date='Feb 8 2005, 01:05 AM
I am asking this question for a friend of mine who has Tein's with the EDFC. He appearently read the directions and spoke to a few people and no one is sure if you can safely adjust the damper while moving. Anyone know?
I have the EDFC on my TL and I found if you adjust the dampening rate while moving you can throw off the calibration of the EDFC unit. It happened to me one time, I told the car to switch to the softest setting while moving and the car still felt like it was riding very rough. So I turned the EDFC unit completely off, and then turned it back on which re-calibrates the motors. This fixed the problem immediately, but since then I don't really mess with the EDFC settings unless I'm stopped or nearly stopped.

I don't think it will break anything to adjust it while moving ... but turning on/off the EDFC unit to re-calibrate means your memory settings will be lost.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now this topic is very interesting. I have this big ? regarding the adjustments. I have read many times that if you change the height of the car/suspension your car must be aligned.

The Tein is adjusted only in relation of how stiff you want the coilovers? or adjusts the height as well with the EDFC?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by energetic' date='Feb 8 2005, 10:08 AM
Now this topic is very interesting. I have this big ? regarding the adjustments. I have read many times that if you change the height of the car/suspension your car must be aligned.

The Tein is adjusted only in relation of how stiff you want the coilovers? or adjusts the height as well with the EDFC?
The EDFC can only adjust dampening rates, it cannot adjust the height of the car, so there are no alignment issues with using the EDFC. It basically is for adjusting how soft or hard the ride is. So for me, when I'm cruising on the highway, I usually put my TL on the softest setting but when I'm on local roads I make the ride a little bit stiffer.

For cars with hydraulics where you can actually change the ride height of the car on the fly ... I would imagine you'd align your car to whatever setting you wanted first and then if you change the ride height your alignment would just be off until you went back to your 'correct' setting. Unless hydraulic systems also include the ability to change your camber/toe on the fly? I'm not really familiar with them at all.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks LiQiCE,

Need more response. Seems that no one is sure if it will cause damage. I know there are a lot more EDFC owners here. There was just a group buy for them.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:09 AM

I have had mine for about a year, and I change it while moving. Not often, but I do it. I havent had any problems with my setup. I thinkyou should be fine, but whenever you can just do it when youre stopped to be on the safe side.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 AM

i change mine while moving a lot.... and i've been fine.. and i dont' have that problem that liqice has........ the only problem i've had with needing to recalibrate the edfc unit is when i put my cell in the cup holder... supposidly the frequency or something messes with the edfc and it thows an error signal...

however with all this said... tein does state not to adjust the dampening while driving...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 AM

ohhh and i've had my tein and edfc for about 8000 miles now...
Old 02-08-2005, 12:15 PM

I think changing damping rates on the move was the original Idea wasn't it? When your on the track you can adjust it on the fly until you get it right?

But someone should just email Tein and find out.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:45 PM

it was not intended for that. it was inteded to be able to adjust it on the go.... so instead of stopping and popping your hood and adjusting it and taking out the liner in the back to adjust the rears.. you just push a button....

if you read the edfc insturction booklet it'll say to NOT adjust it while the car is moving.. it must be stopped... just for safety measures....

however i've adjusted it plenty of times while i'm moving and there has been no ill effect

Quick Reply: Tein EDFC owners, question