S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Taming an AP1

Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Someday2k
People claim that an AP1 is twitchy. What do they mean by that? Why is an AP1 so twitchy? And, how can you tame it?
Taming the AP1 101 -- course curriculum:
1) Fix the driver.
2) Fix the driver.
3) Fix the driver.
4) Repeat steps 1-3.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by Someday2k' timestamp='1372770676' post='22642681
People claim that an AP1 is twitchy. What do they mean by that? Why is an AP1 so twitchy? And, how can you tame it?
Taming the AP1 101 -- course curriculum:
1) Fix the driver.
2) Fix the driver.
3) Fix the driver.
4) Repeat steps 1-3.
As someone who almost lost an AP1 due to me being an idiot, i agree
Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I know the ap1 has more oversteer and honda also added some supports in the chassis on the ap2. I went with a ap1 because I wanted that 9k rpm engine also it helped that the ap1 is cheaper since its older. All you need to do is just learn how to keep a car under control if you get some oversteer. Some track time and some advice will get you a long ways. What ever you pick just enjoy the hell out of it which isn't hard to do.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Some87
From what I know the ap1 has more oversteer and honda also added some supports in the chassis on the ap2. I went with a ap1 because I wanted that 9k rpm engine also it helped that the ap1 is cheaper since its older. All you need to do is just learn how to keep a car under control if you get some oversteer. Some track time and some advice will get you a long ways. What ever you pick just enjoy the hell out of it which isn't hard to do.
Understeer basised designs help low skilled drivers stay on the road when pushing the limits. As your natural reaction is to let off the gas giving you more grip up front.

They corrected the oversteer because people have bad driver skills, not because there is anything wrong with an oversteer setup. Oversteering should be faster. Staying on throttle with lots of grip up front in theory means faster cornering.

The fact is Ap1/Ap2 stock track the same times.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Some87' timestamp='1372931678' post='22646906
Understeer basised designs help low skilled drivers stay on the road when pushing the limits. As your natural reaction is to let off the gas giving you more grip up front.

They corrected the oversteer because people have bad driver skills, not because there is anything wrong with an oversteer setup. Oversteering should be faster. Staying on throttle with lots of grip up front in theory means faster cornering.

not quite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdOU-yyZ_w
argue the results if you must, but I really do think this was a quite well done comparison.although I do think it's a bit more even in autox. to be honest though, track times are not always very accurate, it depends on the driver and conditions plain and simple.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by SpoiledAP1
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1372952756' post='22647307
[quote name='Some87' timestamp='1372931678' post='22646906']

argue the results if you must, but I really do think this was a quite well done comparison.although I do think it's a bit more even in autox. to be honest though, track times are not always very accurate, it depends on the driver and conditions plain and simple.
[/quote]
Inwatch everything from BMI. Just watching them made me want a s2k
Old 07-05-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoiledAP1
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1372952756' post='22647307
[quote name='Some87' timestamp='1372931678' post='22646906']

[/quote]
Not arguing fact is there is no performance difference between the different setups. The run the same track times, even for example that ap1's consistently put out less wheel hp. That video touches on everything I've stated.

Track times with highly skilled drivers pretty much tell all. Totally throws aside 'stats' like 1/4 mile, slalom and stopping distance. All of these stats come together in one package on the track.

We can debate opinions online all we want. Put down a time at the track.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZDan
AP1 rear suspension has toe change with bump. Rears toe in with bump, toe out in extension. This gives it nonlinear handling characteristics. Specifically, if you make the rookie mistake of giving a big LIFT off of the gas pedal during cornering, you get a big dose of oversteer as the outside rear toes relatively outward (this in addition to the big dose of oversteer from unloading the rears and loading the fronts).

You just have to get used to it. Or swap in an AP2 rear subframe to have the lower toe/control arms relocated to minimize rear toe change. Or get an aftermarket bumpsteer kit which relocates the ball joint at the outer end of the toe/control arms (but these might require larger wheels and some have also been prone to failure).
This is interesting info to know... I do alignments so I understand what you are saying. I guess the double wishbone rear suspension allows for bump-steer in the rear??? Never would have thought of that aspect coming into play. I have an 03 AP1 set at 0.08 toe left and right on the rear (OE specs). Is there a specific alignment you have found that fixes this issue with the AP1?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I've tried a wide range of static toe settings, and for me, minimal rear toe gives more linear handling characteristics. I run 0.1-0.2 degrees total rear toe-in (.05-.1 degrees per side). This also gives great rear tire life.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2

Oversteery isn't necessarily faster. In developing my 240z, at one point it was observed that I was carrying a constant drift angle all the way around New Hampshire south oval. I loved the way the car handled, almost like it had some self servo steering. I only had to give the wheel an initial nudge and then it would rail through corners with little input. But basically the setup was underutilizing the front tires. I disconnected the rear sway bar, which made it feel much more understeery and required more steering effort, it felt slower, but was a second quicker around nhms south oval.

In any case, the ap1 rear toe wankness is a separate issue. Given the same springs dampers sways and alignment settings, the ap1 outside rear toeing in while steady-state cornering would give more understeer vs ap2 rear geometry (minimal toe change). Lift off the throttle and AP1 oversteers more. Consistent toe => more consistent handling. I'm a big AP1 fan, but the ap2 rear geometry is just better.