S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Taming an AP1

Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by civdaddy
ok...Honda designed the ap1 to have a change in rear toe when the rear end is loaded and unloaded. But why? Everyone on this forum says it has NO performance advantage at all. There has to be a reason why they did this..
The totally misguided reasoning behind this stupid, gimmicky "feature":
They figured that having the outside rear toe in under hard cornering would make the car more forgiving at the limit, inducing more understeer the harder you corner. They apparently did this without taking into consideration what happens when the uninitiated LIFT off the throttle during cornering => outside rear toes relatively outward => even more oversteer than they deserved.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my 02 AP1. autocrossing will provide a good avenue for learning the car. i have not driven an AP2 so i cannot compare them but i am sure both present a good choice.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Get UK alignment, good tires, and keep your foot on the gas pedal when turning and you'll be fine.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wouldn't trade my 2000 for a later year. Hence my AP1 badge. It forces me to pay attention when driving spiritedly.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Someday2k
Originally Posted by Someday2k' timestamp='1372776650' post='22642891
[quote name='ZDan' timestamp='1372775221' post='22642831']
AP1 rear suspension has toe change with bump. Rears toe in with bump, toe out in extension. This gives it nonlinear handling characteristics. Specifically, if you make the rookie mistake of giving a big LIFT off of the gas pedal during cornering, you get a big dose of oversteer as the outside rear toes relatively outward (this in addition to the big dose of oversteer from unloading the rears and loading the fronts).

You just have to get used to it. Or swap in an AP2 rear subframe to have the lower toe/control arms relocated to minimize rear toe change. Or get an aftermarket bumpsteer kit which relocates the ball joint at the outer end of the toe/control arms (but these might require larger wheels and some have also been prone to failure).
I always get oversteer and understeer confused. Oversteer means you turn the wheel but the car doesn't turn (tight in NASCAR terminology) and understeer means you turn the wheel and the front turns but the rear kicks out on you (Loose in NASCAR lingo) right? So, why the freak would they design the suspension so that the rear tires toe in under compression and toe out with extension? Is there some advantage to that? Seems to me you'd want it to be the other way around.

So, what you are saying is, I would go into a turn and lift the gas, apply the brakes, load the fronts and unload the rears. The rear tires toe out making the car oversteer (tight)...yeah... I don't get it. I guess I'll have to drive it to understand.

Okay, thanks for setting me straight. I've got it backwards. So, basically, going hard into a turn the car tends to oversteer (get loose) because you are loading the front wheels enabling them to grip more, and unloading the rears causing them to toe out which is fine with me. I'd rather be loose than tight. But, regardless, it's apparently not a huge deal and it's just something I'd have to get used to.

So, basically what I'm hearig is the AP1 kicks like a banshee over 7000 rpm and gets loose under hard cornering if you lift off the gas. Okay, now I understand why it's twitchy and raw...and sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Honda tamed all of that with the AP2 suspension and engine tweaks and gave the car more low end torque. So, that's the major difference between the performance of the AP1 and the AP2. Got it.
[/quote]

If you're loading the front wheels, essentially slowing down in the corner, you're doing it wrong. You should have the car settled and balanced for the turn. From my understanding the loading and unloading with toe in and out of the ap1 is what causes the snap oversteer. So you're in the corner assuming your throttle is constant and thus keeping weight evenly distributed between the front and rear. You panic, lift off the throttle. Weight goes forward, rear decompresses and the toe setting changes causing the oversteer.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 AM

"Keep your foot on the gas pedal while turning and you'll be fine" ???!!

I don't get it. Most times you want to hammer it on the straights and slow down in the corners so how do you do that while keeping your foot on the gas pedal while turning? You have to lift don't you? Somebody explain this to me.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:37 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Millions have driven powerful cars wIthout nanny devices

Learn the car.

BTW - understeer is when the front end hits the wall,oversteer is when the rear end hits the wall
Old 07-03-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you don't see or hear the driver lift in a corner, you hear gear changes and throttle matching.. and you stay on the power..

Heel and Toe... http://www.drivingfast.net/car-contr...m#.UdQbYunD9hE

Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm leaning toward an AP1 because I want to drive something that requires all my attention.
As always, test drive before you make the decision. You can read all you want but it's first hand experience that matters in the end.

And, how can you tame it?
As always: driver education. Track and/or autocross it.

I did a search for this topic but didn't find anything. If this has already been discussed before and you can point me to the thread, I'd appreciate it.
You're probably being too specific and focusing on modding the car. Don't make the common mistake of overlooking the driver.

I always get oversteer and understeer confused.
Top Gear's explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoICf55jED8‎

So, what you are saying is, I would go into a turn and lift the gas, apply the brakes, load the fronts and unload the rears.
With proper HPDE training you won't fully lift in the middle of a turn and apply the brakes (and then post here about how the car and/or conditions caused you to wreck the car). Again, get some seat time with an instructor.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by Someday2k' timestamp='1372770676' post='22642681
I'm leaning toward an AP1 because I want to drive something that requires all my attention.
As always, test drive before you make the decision. You can read all you want but it's first hand experience that matters in the end.

And, how can you tame it?
As always: driver education. Track and/or autocross it.

I did a search for this topic but didn't find anything. If this has already been discussed before and you can point me to the thread, I'd appreciate it.
You're probably being too specific and focusing on modding the car. Don't make the common mistake of overlooking the driver.

I always get oversteer and understeer confused.
Top Gear's explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoICf55jED8‎

So, what you are saying is, I would go into a turn and lift the gas, apply the brakes, load the fronts and unload the rears.
With proper HPDE training you won't fully lift in the middle of a turn and apply the brakes (and then post here about how the car and/or conditions caused you to wreck the car). Again, get some seat time with an instructor.

Takeshi - thanks for the info.

This website is pretty freakin' sweet. Just a crap load of information here. It's awesome.

Quick Reply: Taming an AP1