S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

synthetic oil anyone?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread should be "regular oil anyone" I 've used syntethic oil even in my hyundai scoupe when I was in collage. Mobil 1 for life. I think the question is why no use it??

You have a sports car and you are asking if you should use a better oil for your car? Go seach for syntethic oils and their benefits and you will close this thread. I promise you
Old 09-06-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBHs2k,Sep 5 2010, 01:02 PM
Oil is oil no matter what kind is. Regular conventional oil is just fine but if it makes you feel better than go ahead and put in synthetic. Like my dad always tells me...... "we went 100 years without synthetic oil and cars were just fine".
LMAO.............people went without electricity for longer than that but that doesnt mean electricty has no advantages. The bearing tolerances in motors are sooooo much closer now and piston walls are impregnated with hi-tech materials. If spending a few extra dollars for synthetic oil is questionable to you, you probably should go find a nice 1 owner Model T. It was designed for "conventional" motor oil.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeggy,Sep 5 2010, 04:09 PM
it's like, cotton bed sheets are good but satin sheets are......mmmmm.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:54 AM

For an NA car a quality conventional oil is just fine. I'd recommend Chevron or Texaco 10W-30 and just change it more often. Put your savings toward rear tires.

I'd stay away from Mobil 1 especially with an AP1 unless you like blow by and buying timing chain tensioners.

If you're FI then definitely synthetic - either Schaeffers 10W-30 or Amsoil 5W-40.

But that's just me. I haven't had my car for very long.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by raymo19,Sep 6 2010, 10:54 AM
For an NA car a quality conventional oil is just fine. I'd recommend Chevron or Texaco 10W-30 and just change it more often. Put your savings toward rear tires.

I'd stay away from Mobil 1 especially with an AP1 unless you like blow by and buying timing chain tensioners.

If you're FI then definitely synthetic - either Schaeffers 10W-30 or Amsoil 5W-40.

But that's just me. I haven't had my car for very long.
I search about Mobil1 and your right. I'm with royal purple now. Will go with Motul 6100 or Amsoil
Old 09-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Sep 6 2010, 11:04 AM
Probably 99% of people on here use synthetic as recommended.
I don't know where you get these ridiculous "facts".

Use whatever oil you want, but synth has never been recommended from Honda for the S and dino has never been problematic in the car.

Its more important that you use oil and change it within its usable life, not whether it is synth or dino. That's one of the few real facts about oil - most everything else is anecdotal. Most people still don't believe you can run any oil for more that 3k mi, much less really know what the differences are between dino and synth and how they are good and bad.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i recommend Amsoil over any other brand.
tried mobile 1 and Royal purple and they break down to easy
bt thats just my 2 cents
Old 09-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Royal Purple. and yes you gotta change more often cuz like what the guy above says..

dnt have time to order and wait for Amsoil though..

synth since day 1.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 AM

Do you race your car or just drive from point A to B? If you just daily drive your car i don't see the need in full synthetic.. Just change every 3k or 3 months (whichever comes first) but if your car see's track days, or you like to mess around or drive your car harder than the average Joe.. I would personally reccomend full synthetic.. I see it as extra insurance.. Just make sure it never gets low and you never go past your due date or milage.. I doubt I helped but im bored lol
Old 09-07-2010, 06:13 AM

In summary:

Synthetic Oil Will:

1. Allow you to extend oil change intervals without compromising the lubricating ability of the oil. Synthetic does not break down like conventional oil does (I go 5,000-6,000 miles between changes on synthetic, some people will claim you can go to 10,000 miles but you still have to worry about your oil filter clogging)

2. Is more high temperature stable (A huge benefit when running your engine hot for long periods, ie: track days and autoX, high rpms, low speed means your coolant is running much hotter and so is your engine.)

3. stays free flowing at lower temperatures than conventional and also "clings" to metal better than conventional due to it's more uniform molecular structure. These are benefits when cold starting an engine that has sat unused for some time.

4. Your engine will stay cleaner. I ran synthetic in my last Honda for 85,000 miles and the head, valves and cams looked like they had just came out of the factory, no wear and no varnish buildup whatsoever.

Quick Reply: synthetic oil anyone?