S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Synthetic Oil

Old 10-14-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by disenador

So - according to the consensus, the worst that can happen is that the break-in period for the piston rings, piston rod bearings, cam bearings, and crankshaft main bearings will be longer than usual because of the synthetic oil? Is that the worst that can happen?
The car will tend to burn more oil, and will do it for a longer period of time. If that oil is synthetic at twice the price your maintence costs will be higher and you will have to keep a closer eye on the oil level.

Other than that, there should not be an issue.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

I agree with Ruexp67. If you were burning a little oil when you got your oil change, that will probably continue longer since the honing hash marks won't get smoothed out as fast, allowing more oil to get by the rings.
Depending on how you interpret what happens when the rings "seat" (there are many plausible explanations out there), it could take longer to seat, and it might affect the long term compression of the engine if you spend a lot of time in VTEC. But as I said, these are opinions. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now Honda comes out and says that what you did is the best way to break in this engine.

Edit: Going to synthetic will not adversely affect your bearings, If anything, it will help. It's only the rings and the cylinder walls that are affected.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to thank everyone so far that has replied to this post - I can see that having a network of folks to help you is priceless! We love our S2000 and want to take care of it -

I did call Honda to verify if the Honda advisory for the 2000-01 S2000 still applies for 2002-03 and they told me that it didn't apply. Furthermore, they told me that I could use synthetic oil with my first oil change, which is 7500 miles or 1 year, the latter which applied to our s2000.

So - according to the consensus, the worst that can happen is that the break-in period for the piston rings, piston rod bearings, cam bearings, and crankshaft main bearings will be longer than usual because of the synthetic oil? Is that the worst that can happen?
I knew it! I questioned the 2000-2001 "Advisory" in another thread. I plan to go synoil at around 3k miles, or one year of driving. And yes, the worst that can happen is you might see a bit more oil consumption in the break-in period. I say maybe, because synoils generally have lower oil consumption because they are less volatile, and form a better seal at the ring/bore interface due to high film strength, which exceed mineral oil's.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put Mobil 1 in mine at about 3600 miles, and never had any problem.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 5qt jug of 10w30 mobile 1 at Walmat for $18 and some change. Individual qts were about $5.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:29 AM

As far as being overcharged for my oil change - I found out that they did not have it in stock and they went to a third-party vendor (Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts) and had them deliver 6 quarts. The Honda dealership claim that they charged me what they bought it for at $10/qt. They told me that I could bring in my own next time and they would charge $17 to put it in -

I lost about $30 - live and learn -

Does anyone have their S2K serviced at the dealership?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by papalegate
The 2002 S2000 manual doesn't say anything about waiting 10000 miles before switching to synthetic oil -

There was a service advisory issued to dealers that cautions against switching to synthetic before 10,000 miles. It's been posted several times on this board - you should be able to find it with a search.

Is this the one you're talking about ??

Old 10-15-2003, 04:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by disenador
As far as being overcharged for my oil change - I found out that they did not have it in stock and they went to a third-party vendor (Bumper to Bumper Auto Parts) and had them deliver 6 quarts. The Honda dealership claim that they charged me what they bought it for at $10/qt.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:25 AM

I stopped using Mobile 1 in all of my vehicles (been using it for 20 years now and even in motorcycles) and switched to Castrol Syntec. Decision was made after reading all the articles about the war between Mobile and Castrol on the synthetic oil issue.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:28 AM

I did call Honda to verify if the Honda advisory for the 2000-01 S2000 still applies for 2002-03 and they told me that it didn't apply. Furthermore, they told me that I could use synthetic oil with my first oil change, which is 7500 miles or 1 year, the latter which applied to our s2000.
Who was this person that you spoke with? I sure hope that it was a Honda engineer and not a person at the dealership trying to cover their rear (for doing something that they should have known better than to do).

That advisory came out before production started on the '02's. That's why the advisory does not refer to the subsequent years. The engine in the '02's and '03's is the same mechanically. Send or take a copy of the advisory to the person who told you that it doesn't apply. Ask him to show you some contradictory documentation relating to the to subsequent year models or to simply put his advise in writing. When you don't get either, ask yourself if what this person had to say is worth the air that it took to say it. Many people at Honda know about Civics, Accords, etc. and assume that their knowledge holds true for the S2000. Well, it doesn't. The S2000 is a different animal.

As to whether it will hurt your car to have changed to synthetic too early, I can't say because I'm not qualified. But, I do know that a lot of these types of worries could be avoided if Honda made an attempt, beyond the owners manual, to communicate with the people that purchase their cars.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil